Chrome users, need some help/advice

r3ddawn

n00b
I'm new to the Chrome browser, but I'm really enjoying it so far, compared to the slowness of FF. I have come across one weired issue though. I can play all type of media via the browser, youtube for example, seem to not have any issues anywhere, until I went to IMDB.com to watch a trailer. Pages load, images, etc.. When I click to play the video though, on any trailer, all I get is the black box, nothing ever playes. I see the box where you can, at the bottom, pick SD, 480p, etc, but the video's never load. I can't figure out why, as via FF, they do load and play. Since I can go to other sites and play videos, I was wondering if anyone knew what this was, or how to fix it. Any help would be great. It's not a huge issue, but I would like to the the reason, and possible solution, to this issue. Thanks to anyone that can help solve this problem.. (I've tried doing a search on google, can't find an answer as of yet)

Google Chrome 8.0.552.237 (Official Build 70801)
WebKit 534.10
V8 2.4.9.19
User Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/8.0.552.237 Safari/534.10

First off, I would run the current version of Chrome. (9.0.597.84)

Ya I just ran chrome, it auto updated, tried again, still only the black box is seen, nothing ever loads. But it does with FF, so I'm not understanding what the issue is, has to be Chrome related I would think..

Uninstall the old version, run CCleaner on the machine to wipe out the temp/installation files, use the Registry cleaner in CCleaner to clear out the gunk that Chrome might have left behind, then go into your Users\<username>\AppData\Local and Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming directories (the AppData one is hidden, might need to adjust Explorer so you can see hidden and system files, just for this task) and delete the Chrome folders you should find in there.

That pretty much cleans out the old Chrome install completely (obviously, save your bookmarks, etc before you do this).

Then install the latest stable version of Chrome, import the bookmarks as required, then try again.

Can also try using the portable version of Chrome to see if it works - and this won't interfere with your current installation at all, just make sure not to have the installed version of Chrome running (the portable one will complain if you try to start it when the installed one is running). You can get the portable version here:

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/google_chrome_portable

Also, hit this page and get the latest version of the Adobe Flashplayer Beta (get both the ActiveX one for IE and the regular one for other browsers, then close your browser(s) and install both of them, after which you should be good to go):

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

That should get you situated... hopefully.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that, quick question, maybe yourself or others know, I just tried IE 8, never use IE, so had no idea, but went to imdb.com, tried to play a trailer, same issue where I just get the black box, buttons etc, but nothing ever loads. So it's not just chrome, it's IE too, but yet FF plays any trailer with no issues, yet I don't understand why. Flash is current on IE, the plugin, and enabled via the manage add-ons section. I can go to youtube and videos play fine, which I thought use the flash player, so I'm confused as to why these issues on imdb.com, now I'm thinking it's more with flash/site, then browser, but I'm not sure..

Possibly that could be an Adobe Flash Player issue. You could try reinstalling Adobe Flash to see if that resolves the problem.

-Cool-

I found the problem, though I don't know how this happened. I'm posting what worked for me, and hope if others have the same issue, they can query and find my answer, so it helps them.

After doing ton's of research, and trying all sorts of methods to figure out what was wrong, it was never Chrome nor IE, it was a blocked entry in my hosts file. On Adobe's forum I found that if you remove: ad.doubleclick.net everything works perfectly, all videos load, no issues what so ever. I never even thought of this, because when I would fire up FF, the trailers on IMDB would load, so how does that happen, does FF not go by the hosts file? That was the most confusing part of all this, that Chrome and IE wouldn't play anything, but FF would, hence I thought it was a Flashplayer issue. It's not. Maybe someone can answer how it is that FF ignored my HOSTS file, but Chrome/IE don't/didn't... Either way, if anyone ever comes across this problem, I hope this helps you resolve it. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help!!!

Back