Chrome OS to Allow Android Apps to Run in Parallel

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
The latest beta of Chrome 64 Beta has a new feature a lot of Chromebook users have been wanting for a long time. In the beta you can now run apps side by side without one of them pausing or causing some kind of weird issue when they aren't in focus. So keep your fingers crossed that this feature makes it into the 64 Stable release. Check out the video to see how it works.

Watch the video here.

This works like most users would expect it to, and we can’t wait until this is a universally available feature on Chromebooks with Play Store access. It simply makes the entire experience feel SO MUCH more native. While this is available in Chrome 64 Beta, it is not 100% that we’ll see the feature in 64 Stable, but the liklihood is high and it is a move that will make the overall usability of Chromebooks much, much better.

So the big feature is running two things on the screen at once. You know, like Windows 3.1, Mac OS, OS/2, Amiga OS, etc., could do 25-30 years ago on 25Mhz processors? Count me impressed!

That is nice. However, I do not feel like running Android apps on a laptop, no thanks.

So the big feature is running two things on the screen at once. You know, like Windows 3.1, Mac OS, OS/2, Amiga OS, etc., could do 25-30 years ago on 25Mhz processors? Count me impressed!

yeah i have read the article twice now and am really left feeling like this should be an onion piece or something

LOL

Knock it all you want, but something like this has a market. I just gave my father-in-law a Chromebook. Cyber Monday sale Acer for $130. He just needs a basic net browser to check his email, do his banking, and do the occasional print-off of whatever. It fits his needs perfectly. Only thing he hates is that it's not a touchscreen and there's no official Android app support for it (yet). Once the Android app support is there, he won't need much else. He already has a new desktop PC to handle anything the Chromebook won't do for him.

Back