Chrome on Fedora 20 needed 169 packages?

smangular

Limp Gawd
I'm a bit surprised that google-chrome needed 169 packages/dependences added to install on a freshly updated Fedora 20 system. It seams like a ton of code dependencies for security.

Would it be unwise to build a statically linked version?

You might want to consider installing Chromium instead, I don't know about Fedora but it's better supported in Ubuntu than Chrome (you can get it from the distro's repositories). I've never run into any problems running Chromium instead of Chrome.

Oh what do you see as a Chromium advantage?
Looking into the differences, the sandboxed adobe flash and feature is a big plus for Chrome.

What Chrome Has and Chromium Doesn’t

Chrome includes a variety of closed-source bits that Chromium lacks:

AAC, H.264, and MP3 Support: Chrome includes licensed codecs for these proprietary media formats, giving you acess to a wider variety of media content — particularly sites using HTML5 video to stream H.264 videos. Both browsers include the basic, free codecs: Opus, Theora, Vorbis, VP8, VP9, and WAV.

Adobe Flash (PPAPI): Chrome includes a sandboxed Pepper API (PPAPI) Flash plug-in that Google automatically updates along with Chrome. This is the only way to get the most modern version of Flash on Linux. Even on Windows and Mac, you’re better off with the sandboxed PPAPI Flash plugin from Chrome than the older NPAPI Flash plug-in available from Adobe’s website. (You can actually get a Pepper Flash plug-in from Chrome and then install it and use it in Chromium, if you like.)
Google Update: Windows and Mac get a program that automatically keeps Chrome up-to-date. Linux users use their standard software management tools.
Security Sandbox (?): Google also notes that some Linux distributions may disable Chromium’s security sandbox, so you’ll want to navigate to about:sandbox in Chromium to ensure the sandbox is enabled and functioning by default. This is one of Chromium (and Chrome’s) best features.
Howtogeek Link

Back