Chrome Gaining On Internet Explorer’s Top Spot

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
As Microsoft is now focused on Edge and more users are fed up with IE, Chrome is set to become the most popular browser.

In March, Internet Explorer fell from 44.79% to 43.40% while Chrome went from 36.56% to 39.09%, which is quite a large jump. This month also saw Firefox, Safari, and Opera lose market share, the biggest loser was Firefox which went from 11.68% to just 10.54% market share. Microsoft's Edge browser has seen an increase in users but not enough to explain Internet Explorer's 1.39% decrease, which must mean users decided to ditch Internet Explorer, for Chrome. During the same period, Edge rose to 4.30% up from February when it was at 3.93% market share, an increase of 0.37%.

Edge needs to be brought up to a working state before I'll switch to it.

Edge needs to be brought up to a working state before I'll switch to it.

Yep, I have a list of stuff I do when installing Windows 10. 2 Highest is turn off Cortana cause it screws up the search bar and unpin Edge and pin IE.

Maybe they fixed Edge by now, but it was so bad when Windows 10 launched that I refuse to even try it again.

I still use edge, the real estate is nice but it does have many issues.

I use Chrome, but Chrome is no saint. Chrome can use an enormous amount of system resources, and it can be very glitchy at playing YT video's.

I use Chrome, but Chrome is no saint. Chrome can use an enormous amount of system resources, and it can be very glitchy at playing YT video's.

Isn't it infuriating when CHROME has trouble playing YOUTUBE?! I just yell, "SAME TEAM" at my monitors and shake my head. Also the 2gb maximum download size in chrome is weirdly annoying.

I use both Chrome and Edge. I occasionally use Firefox for obscure plugins or add-ons that aren't available on Chrome, but that's about it. I like Edge, but it doesn't seem to sync my bookmarks across devices like the others do... there are sites saying it's supposed to, but I can't even find the option for it.

Ouch, the 13% Chrome gained on NetMarketShare's data came from IE (-12%) and Firefox (-1%) over the past year.

I don't care about Edge or IE for personal usage, but I think it's important that MS (and Mozilla) tries to make a competitive browser.

I use both Chrome and Edge. I occasionally use Firefox for obscure plugins or add-ons that aren't available on Chrome, but that's about it. I like Edge, but it doesn't seem to sync my bookmarks across devices like the others do... there are sites saying it's supposed to, but I can't even find the option for it.

Yeah... MS does some really cool stuff but its the simple crap like this that just makes their stuff a pain to use.

Edge buries its bookmarks/favorites in the appdata directory with the rest of the universal app. I have no clue why they just didn't use the same ol' favorites folder in your profile... then IE and edge could have used the same ones AND they would be synced to your MS account (and then other devices). Sad thing is it wasn't "missed", they put in a import bookmarks option to import your bookmarks from IE!!!!

Seriously I would use edge as my default browser if it did that ONE simple thing... well maybe not... just started to use lastpass, which is nice.

I get a distinct impression they have a lot of very very smart engineers but their solutions get too complex at times. The fact you can't easily setup your profile to MS's own OneDrive cloud amazes me just the same. I ended up redirecting the library folders to the OneDrive version of said folders, which had an odd message that it couldn't be reversed???? Now said libraries can appear 10 times in the explorer side bar (some bug it sounds like).

Oh another thing that grinds my gears... try resetting edge (if you get a home page highjack)... There is NO way to reset the app (outside of the app), unless you manually delete the files an run a powershell script to reinstall. What good are isolated universal apps if you can reset them? I swear someone doesn't think all their stuff through.

I couldn't tell you where it was to sync up bookmarks as mine did/does mine automatically. I didn't know this was an issue.

I got fed up with Firefox when it couldn't synchronize my bookmarks properly. That and longstanding performance and glitch issues. Using Chrome now on all my systems, and though it has its own share of performance and glitch issues, it is less than Firefox.

At least for the memory usage I recently found out there's an extension called "The Great Suspender" which you can setup to clear up memory on dormant tabs (customizable duration, whitelisting, can set it to not do pinned tabs), and all you have to do is switch back to the tab and click the screen to reload the page.

I couldn't tell you where it was to sync up bookmarks as mine did/does mine automatically. I didn't know this was an issue.

Incidentally, I've made some progress with this. It turns out that all the Windows 10 computers that have a certain update automatically sync, whereas the others don't. I was having trouble getting it installed on this machine, but once I did, it finally synced with my other computer's Edge bookmarks. Now I'll just have to turn on my third computer and see what happens to those bookmarks, because I think it has the update as well... although I'll double-check.

Back