Chrome and IE wont load images properly

Slipstream

n00b
Hello all!

My father got a new computer, Windows 7 professional 64bit

both Chrome and IE seem to either half load images, download with half of it in a bunch of colors at the bottom half, or wont load at all. Its very hard to browse sites when you have to see an image and it wont show up. Is there something that i need to download or update for this to work?

Cheers.

all websites. acutally speaking of packet loss. i did a speed test, and it couldn't bring up the packet loss at all.

is his internet connected to a hub or something goofy like that? Can you explain the internet connectivity?

who is the ISP?

as freaking odd as this sounds, i have seen this 3 different times. each time, it was comcast, and each time it had to do with a brand new computer. Other devices would load pages / pics just fine, but the new pc would just bomb. same pc on any other internet connection worked just fine.

Every single time, it was a faulty cable modem. no joke. no, it doesnt really even make sense, but replacing the modem solved the problem every time.

He is using AT&T, he is wired ethernet chord. I am going to check to make sure nothing is loose. Also there are two computers in the office, the other seems to load properly, So I hope its just the chord?

Edit: he is connected to the modem box that AT&T provided.

Also for the person above and a general question. How reliable are these "free" modem/wireless boxes (just threw a fit when i found out they lied to my dad, comcast, and we are renting it for the last 1.5 years. garbage). I am trying to get him a new one that we can just settle with that wont have a renting fee attached to it.

Last edited:
He is using AT&T, he is wired ethernet chord. I am going to check to make sure nothing is loose. Also there are two computers in the office, the other seems to load properly, So I hope its just the chord?

He could be connected to a sketchy wireless network as well, even if the laptop is plugged in. Double check what the laptop really thinks it is connected to.

Forgot to specify, its a desktop. It just connected to the LAN. Unplugged the chord and checked it. From the naked eye, nothing seems to be wrong with the chord.

Try to turn of the firewall and then give it a try..
Also try using firefox as a browser and see if the problem still persists.

firewall appears to be off the whole time. I just checked the other computer ethernet, and same thing. While the other computer has no problems at with pictures.

Also for the person above and a general question. How reliable are these "free" modem/wireless boxes (just threw a fit when i found out they lied to my dad, comcast, and we are renting it for the last 1.5 years. garbage). I am trying to get him a new one that we can just settle with that wont have a renting fee attached to it.

They are as reliable as most computer hardware. I see many that go for many years of good service, and occasionally a few go bad. If it's 3~5 years, it could probably use some replacing, which typically has the symptom of wireless dropping off frequently.

now Comcast, on the other hand, their new XFinity modems are horrid! I've seen several new installs require them to replace it two or three times before we got one that was stable enough to not drop the internet access, wired or wireless. When they're good, they're good. When they're bad, its a nightmare.

Back