Chrome 3.0 Stable Version Released

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google has released a stable version of Chrome 3.0. Grab it if you want it, try it if you haven’t.

At Google Chrome's first birthday just two weeks ago, we looked forward to an action-packed year for the browser and the web. Thanks to a full year of great feedback from our users, we're kicking off our second year of Google Chrome with a brand new stable release. This release comes hot on the heels of 51 developer, 21 beta and 15 stable updates and 3,505 bugfixes in the past year.

Mandatory:

"Chrome makes my interwebz 81 and a half times faster, so I ditched Firefox for it!"

"Chrome makes my interwebz 81 and a half times faster, but it doesn't have extensions yet so I'll stay with Firefox"

"I used to swear by Firefox, but since Chrome is the new underdog browser and I like to be 'cool' by not having what most other people have, I'm going with Chrome."

"I like to act like the whole separate process thing actually makes any sort of big difference in my everyday web browsing life, so I'm going with Chrome - which, btw, has the ZOMGAMAZING advantage of being 81 and a half times faster than Firefox!!"

aaaaand....

"Yeah bro...Firefox is just too bloated with it's HUGEMONGOUS 8mb download size. I'm switching to Chrome because it's way more compact. Yeah, I know that the 556kb installer is just really a link to the actual program download, but still...*crickets squeeking*"

...did I miss anything? :D

Have they fixed the egregious border-radius rendering yet? I was pretty shocked to discover that Chrome is/was the only WebKit-based browser that doesn't anti-alias CSS3 rounded corners. Oh lawd!

Yeah I just noticed a few things looked different and then checked my chrome version. The reason I use chrome is that the start up is close to a few seconds while firefox I am waiting up to 20 seconds. In Debian I only use firefox, for some reason it doesnt start up slowly like it does in vista.

Hope it fixes some of the bugs I was having. Mainly with drop down lists. If typed to jump to what you wanted it would show it as being picked but it would really be something else unless you manually clicked on the entry you wanted.

Been using Safari lately because FF have been f-ed up by all extensions I have :p (yeah I know I could fix that...) I like it quite a lot, but I'll try Chrome again for a few weeks, have not tried it for about a year.

its fast. everyone who is a tabaholoic at work like me in the IT support industry.. im saving tons of time because its faster than firefox. what happened to firefox? its gotten so slow

Google sucks at version numbering.

First, half their online products stay in "beta" form for years despite numerous new features being added.

Then they decided to make Chrome version 3.0 when it really should be like 1.3, if that. They improved the speed slightly, tweaked the new tab screen, tweaked the address bar, and added themes - yup, definitely enough for a major version increase :rolleyes: At this rate we will be at Chrome version 600.0 by the time Firefox reaches version 5 and IE reaches 9, lol.

Quite nice and working somewhat as expected. Still can't give up completely on Firefox.

Thanks for the heads up

Finally I can use the custom theme feature.

Google sucks at version numbering.

First, half their online products stay in "beta" form for years despite numerous new features being added.

Then they decided to make Chrome version 3.0 when it really should be like 1.3, if that. They improved the speed slightly, tweaked the new tab screen, tweaked the address bar, and added themes - yup, definitely enough for a major version increase :rolleyes: At this rate we will be at Chrome version 600.0 by the time Firefox reaches version 5 and IE reaches 9, lol.

So because Google is taking a different approach to labeling the versions of their software it "sucks"? Not all companies adhere to the established norms...

So because Google is taking a different approach to labeling the versions of their software it "sucks"? Not all companies adhere to the established norms...

Uh, they didn't say Chrome sucks, they said Google sucks at numbering...but way to take something WAY the hell out of context. :rolleyes: Anyways, this shouldn't be Chrome 3.0 - I fully agree that it should be something more like 1.3. I'm pretty sure that Google is just rushing the version number to go up because they don't want people to get the sense that it's inferior to Firefox because Firefox is version 3.5. To some people, if they see that Firefox is 3.5 and Chrome is version 1, they might choose Firefox based solely on that larger number.

I just wish they would add a feature for the address bar where I can just type in "GenMay" and it'll show me a drop down of pages with the header "GenMay." Instead, I have to type in hardforum.com.

I like the simple things in life.

I wish they would allow me to not have links underlined. You think by version "3.0" that would be a simple feature to add.

I ran into some issues in the past in which has turned me away from Chrome.

I was using the latest version about a week ago and it started to crash on me as soon as I fired it up. Very odd. No other browser problems, just chrome. I was enjoying the speed, but went back to FF because it was stable. With this release perhaps I'll try it out again, see if it works for me now.

For those using an automatic proxy script (pac file) in IE, make sure you set the --v8-proxy-resolver flag by adding it to the shortcut's target line. Internal addresses worked, but externals wouldn't.

I just wish they would add a feature for the address bar where I can just type in "GenMay" and it'll show me a drop down of pages with the header "GenMay." Instead, I have to type in hardforum.com.

I like the simple things in life.

You should try Firefox then, it does exactly that ;)

Its very fast... but its missing too many important features for me and its standards support is not too hot. Lots of problems with flash forms etc...

Uh, they didn't say Chrome sucks, they said Google sucks at numbering...but way to take something WAY the hell out of context. :rolleyes: Anyways, this shouldn't be Chrome 3.0 - I fully agree that it should be something more like 1.3. I'm pretty sure that Google is just rushing the version number to go up because they don't want people to get the sense that it's inferior to Firefox because Firefox is version 3.5. To some people, if they see that Firefox is 3.5 and Chrome is version 1, they might choose Firefox based solely on that larger number.

It sounds like someone has an underlying hate for Google. If it was you to release an updated version of your internet browser would you use insignificant numbers like 1.3? or get more attention by bumping the number to 3.0? Its just a simple marketing strategy and it works. If you don't believe me go to business school and you will learn real fast.

Other than lets hear you QQ some more.

It sounds like someone has an underlying hate for Google. If it was you to release an updated version of your internet browser would you use insignificant numbers like 1.3? or get more attention by bumping the number to 3.0? Its just a simple marketing strategy and it works. If you don't believe me go to business school and you will learn real fast.

Other than lets hear you QQ some more.

Uh, no shit? That's exactly what I said in my post, that they don't want to seem inferior to Firefox due to the larger number.

So...what's your point by making this post? Did you misunderstand what I was saying? I explained the exact same thing you just did to me, to someone else.

:confused:

Back