Christmas Race 2009 - Lets Go Horde!

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
Its that time of year again folks. The World Community Grid Christmas Race runs from Dec 1st to Dec 24th. Here is the link for more info.

Last year the [H]ardOCP team got 4th place out of some very good teams. This year all of the big name teams are out and gearing up.

The WCG team has been on a consistent rise the last couple of months (see last chart on the page) and Im very hopeful this trend will continue.

You may notice that we arent signed up for the event just yet but I contacted hito just the other day and he will be entering us in the event in the coming day or two.

So, everyone get your boxen ready. Anyone is welcome to join the race, its all in good fun. If anyone has any questions getting their BOINC clients setup or other general questions feel free to post and I will try to answer them.

Crunch [H]ard!

Update: Here is a guide to get you started. The Team name is HardOCP.

Update2: Here is the leaderboard for the challenge.

Last edited:
To get the momentum started - I will be running a i7, 3 C2Ds, 1 Pentium D, and 1 Athlon X2 for the race. :D

even though i no longer DC with the DC-vault team here.. im still in on this challenge for the [H]orde.. will have my phenom II 940 and if im not lazy ill fix my other system and run my athlon x2 6400+..

Interested... More info? Can we do this on a dedicated GPU folder's CPU?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Interested... More info? Can we do this on a dedicated GPU folder's CPU?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

yup runs great for that.. its a boinc project.. all protects run at idle clock so if need be you could set your gpu's to above normal to make sure it has no effect at all on performance.. but its never effected my 8800GT folding and ive been running BOINC for years.. can even play cpu intensive games with boinc running in the background..

Ok i'm in. So we can run it now but they start the points tally on 12/1 right?
Also, thanks for joining Sirmonkey :D.

ive always been on the F@H and WCG team.. i just no longer do any of the other projects for the DC-vault group..

and yes they dont start counting til 12/1

even though i no longer DC with the DC-vault team here.. im still in on this challenge for the [H]orde.. will have my phenom II 940 and if im not lazy ill fix my other system and run my athlon x2 6400+..

Great! Thanks for joining in guys! The points dont start to accumulate until 12/1 but obviously you can start anytime. Actually it would be good to start a day or two early. Most (if not all) WUs in WCG have a quorum of 2 (each WU gets sent out to two different machines). Since points arent awarded until both WUs come back to the servers sometimes there is a slight delay in your points starting to accumulate. So if you start one day early you should still have some decent point output on the first.

Vaulter - As sirmonkey mentioned it would work great if you have an underutilized CPU on a dedicated GPU box.

Last edited:
Setup links??

I guess that would have been a good thing to put in the initial post huh? :D

WCG run on the BOINC client. Here is the front page for the WCG. This is a link to download the latest BOINC client.

I would suggest following this guide to get setup and going. As always if you have any questions about setup post here and I'll answer if I can. :) Good luck.

Also wanted to mention that the grid has some very good projects running on it. There are projects researching Cancer, AIDS, Childrens Cancer, Muscular Dystrophy, and Protenome Folding. There is also a project researching how to grow better strains of Rice for better yields to help better feed the worlds population. You can pick and choose which of these projects that you want to run.

Last edited:
My work folding rig at work is up and running this on the CPU. Still F@H with GPU's.
When I get home I'll load up the software on those 7 computers for CPU useage.

Awesome! Thanks for the help. :)

Since you have already created a WCG account and joined your user name to the HardOCP team - you can skip straight to step #8 in the guide when setting up any further clients. Just download the BOINC software and attach to the project on that machine. BOINC will take care of the rest. :)

I have never done WCG. Usually worked on the other projects in the DC-Vault but what the heck if its a race im in. :) I'll start switching my computers over for it.

I'll be running an i7, 2 C2D, and at least 2 P4s maybe more.

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks Eric! Thats some serious processing power. :)

I noticed that as a team we hit 94K PPD yesterday. I havent seen a single day output like that in a while. I have high hopes that we can get upwards of 100K pretty consistently during the race.

If anyone else has a couple idle CPU cores and wants to join in we could really use the help! :) Its not hard to setup and it maintenance free. Seriously folks this is a set-it-and-forget-it client. Thanks for considering it. :cool:

Last edited:
i havent moved any of my systems over yet.. probably will in the next couple days.. still crunching away at simaps insane amount of WU's..

I might have to pull out my old 3.2ghz P4 to crunch away also :D. Maybe we can do better than 4th this year team :D.

I might have to pull out my old 3.2ghz P4 to crunch away also :D. Maybe we can do better than 4th this year team :D.

if you run the smaller WU's like the rice ones the p4 will do perfect.. i run those on my pentium M 1.7ghz and athlon xp-m 2400+ when they are running WCG..

if you run the smaller WU's like the rice ones the p4 will do perfect.. i run those on my pentium M 1.7ghz and athlon xp-m 2400+ when they are running WCG..
TY for the advice. I'm gonna fire her up either today or tomorrow to get her ready for this.

Awesome. Thanks Eric! Thats some serious processing power. :)

I noticed that as a team we hit 94K PPD yesterday. I havent seen a single day output like that in a while. I have high hopes that we can get upwards of 100K pretty consistently during the race.

If anyone else has a couple idle CPU cores and wants to join in we could really use the help! :) Its not hard to setup and it maintenance free. Seriously folks this is a set-it-and-forget-it client. Thanks for considering it. :cool:

I still have yet to set up my i7 since I had to leave it at college. I think we will definitely be able to get over 100K. :)

ok i have my phenom II 940 running WCG again.. will move everything else over in the next couple days..

sirmonkey - Just out of curiosity how many PPD is that PII putting out (in WCG points) and what do you have it clocked at? If you dont already know you can get this info by going to the WCG website and clicking on My Grid|My Statistics and then Device Statistics. The just click on the appropriate PC. I think i might try to put together a list of PPD estimates for people thinking of joining the Race. Thanks man.

ill have to wait a full 24 hours to get the PPD numbers.. since it claims i only turned in 1 WU even though ive turned in about 5 or 6 before the deadline..

its currently running at 3.5ghz..

Ahh . . yeah i suppose it will take a few days for the PPD to level out.

Man i really hope that hito adds us to the challenge this weekend. We cant afford a late start. :D We were 49th in points yesterday though. Nice work guys! Lets keep climbing!

Ahh . . yeah i suppose it will take a few days for the PPD to level out.

Man i really hope that hito adds us to the challenge this weekend. We cant afford a late start. :D We were 49th in points yesterday though. Nice work guys! Lets keep climbing!

you know you should pm the staff for WCG and ask if they can give you the team due to him being AFK for so long.. i think they would be willing to do it.. or tell hito to give you the team.. only takes 30 seconds for him to do it..

Statistics Date
white.gif
Total Run Time(y:d:h:m:s)
white.gif
Points Generated
white.gif
results returned
11/28/09
white.gif
0:001:12:56:09
white.gif
white.gif
11/27/09
white.gif
0:001:15:22:53
white.gif
white.gif
11/26/09
white.gif
0:000:05:44:54
white.gif
white.gif

those are for the last 3 days ive been running it..

ok so it looks like today was the catch up day for stats.. i did 8,377 points today on my phenom II 940 @ 3.5ghz.. 15 WU's returned instead of the 5,259 points and 10 WU's shown in the post above..

Great! Thanks Eric! My i7 is already on WCG and im moving all my other boxen over first thing in the AM. Looks like tr0ach is up for the challenge. ;):D

Sirmonkey - I would bet that 8K+ will become the norm on your PII. My dual core Opteron 170 does about 4-5K PPD. So I would think that your PII would be looking at about 8-12K+ PPD.

well the numbers are still all over the place last update as of the 11/29/09 update i did 10,450 on 14 WU's.. so id say anywhere from 8-10k is going to be about my norm depending on how slow the other people are at doing the duplicate of the WU's i complete..

from my rough estimates of trying to count the returned WU's im returning about 20-22 WU's a day on this system.. so it kind of gives an idea of how slow the other people are..

Last edited:
well as of the 12 hour update for day i already did 13,997 points with 21 WU's verified.. i think this might a 30k point day for me.. will have to see on the final update.. and this is all on my phenom II.. i havent moved over my other systems yet..

OK everyone - Looks like we are officially enrolled in the Christmas Race 2009 ( thanks hito! :)) as well as a few other December WCG races. Get you boxen fine tuned and ready to roll! The Christmas Race (and others) begin Dec 1st.

I see that yesterday the Horde had (according to freedc) over 100,000 BOINC points! That is the first time in a quite a while that I can remember us breaking this mark. Thanks to everyone who has jumped on board for the challenge and also to those who might still jump in. :)

Crunch on!

Here is a link to the leaderboard! :) IIRC the leaderboard is updated every evening. I'll put this link in the first post as well.

One other note: If anyone is debating on which WCG project to work on the Muscular Dystrophy Phase 2 project has been doing pretty well in the points department for me. ;)

I have just dedicated 2 cores from my Q9550 for WCG for this race.

Here is a link to the leaderboard! :) IIRC the leaderboard is updated every evening. I'll put this link in the first post as well.

One other note: If anyone is debating on which WCG project to work on the Muscular Dystrophy Phase 2 project has been doing pretty well in the points department for me. ;)

correct.. personal stats are updated every 12 hours.. team stats are updated every 24 hours..

Well even tho I put my stuff on muon1, i think ill switch over to this.

Who are we kidding, I love a challenge.

well as of the 12 hour update for day i already did 13,997 points with 21 WU's verified.. i think this might a 30k point day for me.. will have to see on the final update.. and this is all on my phenom II.. i havent moved over my other systems yet..
Is that 14K WCG pernts or 14K BOINC pernts? :D

All mine seem to be awaiting validation... All two completed so far, that is!

nitro / Jathanis - Good to have you guys on board! :) The Horde might surprise a few people in this challenge yet! :D

That would be 14K WCG points. I would liek to meet the machine that can do 14K BOINC PPD!! I guess I started using the WCG points since thats what the challenge is scored in.

Dont worry its takes a little while for the points to start coming in because of the quorum but give it 24-36 hours and you'll be set. :)

Is that 14K WCG pernts or 14K BOINC pernts? :D

All mine seem to be awaiting validation... All two completed so far, that is!

WCG points since they dont use the same point system as most boinc projects..

WCG points since they dont use the same point system as most boinc projects..
I know, I just haven't got ta mess with you since you left the Commandos, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. You'd need a setup like FLECOM's old one to put up BOINC numbers like that... Okay, maybe not that big! :rolleyes:

Anyways, good to be back on the same team, if just for the month! It just wasn't the same mowing you on all those BOINC projects when you weren't putting up points anymore... :cool:

Back