Christmas gift to myself

Flipside

[H]ard|Gawd
After exams I'm getting a new card to replace my GF4200 that has lasted me for two years.... I've narrowed it down to these, as they all fit in the 200-350CAD price range, and I'm not really prepared to go any higher for a cutting edge video card...

6600GT AGP (If it isn't vaporware)
6800 Vanilla (Probably the Leadtek - they want way too much for the Asus)
9800 Pro 128 (I'd go for the 256, but I've heard that there isn't much point)

What's the best price/performance card...I'm not hardcore gaming, but I like to play games once in a while, and when I do, I like it to be smooth with at least some of the eye candy turned on (Keep in mind I played painkiller and Doom3 on the GF4 with medium settings at 800x600, and I wasn't too bothered by it).

Hey man I hate to be so non american but if your card has lasted you so long, and continues to last then there is no need to upgrade right now. If you are satisfied with what you have there is no need at this point. Sit on the money for another 6 months.

independantvariable said:
Hey man I hate to be so non american but if your card has lasted you so long, and continues to last then there is no need to upgrade right now. If you are satisfied with what you have there is no need at this point. Sit on the money for another 6 months.

Save Money?!?!?? HERETIC!

independantvariable said:

Because my upgrades are progressive, and I recently came into some new games that I'd like to play over Christmas break, and seeing as my time is limited, I'd like to at least have a reasonable time unwinding with them; hence, using them along side current hardware.

Of that list, the 9800 Pro isn't even worth looking at. The other two cards you have listed simply gut it performance-wise.

That said, who knows when/where the 6600GT will make it's appearance, so the 6800nu may be the only REAL option on your list.

6800 would be your best bet. Either that or 6600GT.

Back