Chop off ATX power connector?

orkan

[H]ard|Gawd
I am doing a PSU mod...

... stripping it down to the PCB. If you short the ground/green wire, and chop off the rest of the ATX power connector... will the power supply still function?

What CAN'T you cut off?

Ive modded about 20 PSU in my time and I can say that if you ground the green wire on a psu the psu will start up and provide all the 12 volts you need!!. Never tried cutting up the ATX Connectot though.. Ive cut some of them off and even used some to power fans so go for it!!Ill post picks of a mod if anyone wants me too.

Originally posted by orkan
I am doing a PSU mod...

... stripping it down to the PCB. If you short the ground/green wire, and chop off the rest of the ATX power connector... will the power supply still function?

What CAN'T you cut off?

Id recommend unsoldering the wires from the PCB, and then hooking up the green wire to a ground with a switch... mount it on the PS even... always good to have a shutoff switch just in case

there isn't any reason I can see that it wouldn't work. the wires on a PSU don't need to be hooked up to anything to function, as long as the green is grounded, just like when you use the paperclip trick.

If the wires are cut short, the PSU doesn't know the difference.

The power supply might not turn on without a load, but I assume you have that covered...

Originally posted by MentallyDisturbed
Id recommend unsoldering the wires from the PCB, and then hooking up the green wire to a ground with a switch... mount it on the PS even... always good to have a shutoff switch just in case

I'll go you one better. Buy a relay at auto-zone or radioshack. Wire it so when the main PSU comes on the aux will kick on.

I have two old power supplies that have been converted to testing purposes, both have the unused atx connectors cut off. I just clipped them off with cutters and stuck short pieces of shrink tubing over the ends and heated the shrink tube, no soldering needed.

work real good and have been for quite awhile.

Originally posted by NewBlackDak
I'll go you one better. Buy a relay at auto-zone or radioshack. Wire it so when the main PSU comes on the aux will kick on.

I was going to say the same thing. I used a 12v relay for my water pump, no reason you couldnt do the same thing for a psu, instant redundant power supply, and a hella lot cheaper :D

Originally posted by Tanis143
I was going to say the same thing. I used a 12v relay for my water pump, no reason you couldnt do the same thing for a psu, instant redundant power supply, and a hella lot cheaper :D

350w PSU = 25$

Back