Chop Job Buffalo Wi-Fi Bridge

gerbiaNem

2[H]4U
I have a Buffalo Wireless to Ethernet bridge installed, and I went out and bought a linksys SMA antenna thinking it would fit nicely in the place of the Buffalo antenna. I try to screw the antenna in, but there is plastic on the sides of the connectors stopping it from going in because the antenna diameter is too big.

Instead of just taking the thing back, I decided to take out my trusty old swiss army knife and cut around the plastic to make it fit. I now have a ghetto WtoE bridge which gets a slighly stronger signal strength.

Just a warning to those who buy the linksys high gain antenna thinking it will fit their off-brand product.

The warning is to check your connectors before spending money on something you "think" will work.

that poor, poor, (probably reverse) SMA connector :(. You are probably loosing most of your signal through that setup. When dealing with radio waves at 2.4ghz, you can't just shove wires together and expect it to work (well). At the very least make sure you have provided enough shielding around the connector.

(edited with the help of bob ;))

Rakinos said:
that poor, poor, (probably reverse) SMA connector :(. You are probably loosing most of your signal through that setup. When dealing with radio waves at 2.4ghz, you can't just shove wires together and expect it to work (well). At the very least make sure you have provided enough shielding around the connector.

Fixxed ;)

Though its usually not easy to figure out what antenna you need. I see a lot of RP-SMA, TNC, and N. There were a few others ive seen that made me wonder. Types of cables is also another thing, LMR-100a which I use, the 8 foot peice I have should half the signal-strength.

Just goes to show, do plenty of googling before making a purchase.

At the extreme end of my house I get 75-80% signal with the old antenna, with the new one I get 100%. The new antenna covers the entire connector so shielding isn't a problem. I just cut away some little pieces of plasic blocking the way.

Back