Choosing the OS's for MultiBoot system

NTJedi

Limp Gawd
Need wisdom and insight from the members of HardForums on which Microsoft OS's to use for my future multiboot gaming system which will also do work related tasks/applications when needed. The actual completed system won't be finished until next year, but I've started buying stuff which won't change in price that much... such as the case, fans, etc.

1) If you could use any combination of Microsoft OS's for building a multiboot gaming system which ones would you select and why?

2) Any specific improvements adjustments and tweaks within any or all of the OS's?

I'm currently planning:
Windows2000 Pro (necessary for some older games)
WindowsXP Professional_64bit (main gaming environment)(w/ SP1a... possibly SP2)
WindowsVista Ultimate_64bit (backup gaming environment and possible future main gaming environment pending worthy DX10) (w/ SP1 if there's no bad side effects)
Windows2003 Server R2 Enterprise_64bit w/ SP2 (gaming for environments which benefit from greater than 4GB of RAM)
............... *future system estimated to have 6GB of RAM... maybe more. (remember this is not just a gaming system)

I would like to also add this will be legit. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!

I would probably drop two OSes out, since that seems to be massive overkill. If Vista x64 isn't able to handle some older games, such as some of the original Star Wars games, I'd probably dual boot it with WinXP x86, strictly for the older games, and do my current, regular gaming in Vista x64. I don't know where the status of SLI is right now in Vista, but for single card setups, it's just as good as XP. Why make a mountain, when a molehill will do just fine?

I would probably drop two OSes out, ... ... Why make a mountain, when a molehill will do just fine?

Unfortunately some of the older games don't play on WinXP thus Windows2000 Pro, and for work related reasons I need at least one server OS which also addresses games requiring more than 4GBs. I guess if I absolutely had to cut an OS it would be the WinXp.
I've found several websites posting suggestions for services and registry changes, but there's so many I'm wondering which ones actually make a difference and which ones are just fluff.

Sounds like Win2k and Server are already set in concrete. Which leaves you XP/Vista. My vote is Vista for future games and it is just as good as XP for games, IMO.

Do your legacy games that work in XP also work in Win2k? If so, I would recommend dumping XP. The same reasoning would apply as most pre-Vista (as well as alot of older XP era) games work just fine in Vista. Also, the compatibilty checkbox should reduce *most* incompatibilites.

Of course, there is always that *certain* must have game that will work only in XP.:rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, if you a list of games you are want to know anything about, I'm sure that you would be able to get feedback by posting here and ask how a particular install/playing quality for a given game is on a particular OS.

I still have just about every game that I have ever purchased. Lots of gaps (genre, etc.), I'm sure, but I would bet there alot of other "hoarders" out there.

FWIW, I do have a 5-boot computer with Win2k, XP-32, XP-64, Vista-32, Vista-64.

Back