Choosing Speakers

g5_rocks

n00b
Hey,
I have a onyko 5.1 surround sound receiver. I will need a front right, center, front left, sub, rear right, rear left, correct? Also I'm on a pretty tight budget, so when I'm shopping for speakers what brand should I look at that is a good price, and great quality?
Thanks for the help.

It all depends on how tight your budget is, everybody has different definitions. If you are on a super tight budget, I'd say to look at the Polk r150 bookshelves for surrounds, r300 floorstanding for mains, and a matching Polk CSR center channel.

Fry's has the R150's for $50 a pair, and the R300's for $100 a pair. The CSR center can be bought at Crutchfied for $90. That $240 (without shipping) will get you a fairly decent setup. As for a sub, I think your best bet is probably the Dayton Audio 10 or 12" at Partsexpress.com.

The low end market is pretty good right now. It is the middle market which is a mine field.

What Nuc recommened is good IF your room is confined. The one thing about smaller speakers is that they work better when they have a fixed volume of air to work with. If you are trying to make sound in a room which is wide open to another room, you will feel lacking.

I would also check out AVS (avsforum.com). There is usually a running thread on "good but cheap" speakers going (if not a few dozen).

Also, you can do VERY well by finding non brand name internet only speaker companies. By doing this, you can usually slash 30-50% off the price you see for a brandname or a B&M store. What valve linked has been shown to be a pretty good speaker.

As above, AVS will be very good for this.

Another option you may want to consider is this:

http://www.radiient.com/Calypso-5-C....e3eTaxiNaN0Te34Pa38Ta38MaN90?sc=2&category=6

They are decent speakers, from what I've read. I have a pair of Insignia speakers that are identical to another speaker in the radiient line that I am very fond of. All you would need to do is add a subwoofer and you're set. As mentioned above, the Dayton subs at partsexpress are an excellent value. I have the 10" and it does very well for my needs. Watch for them to go on sale and you can catch a pretty good deal. My 10" powered sub cost me $127, for reference.

-q

AVS (avsforum.com) is a must. They have excellent forums there to help you decide. Be careful there is a lot of information there and you may get over loaded that's avsforum.com

This recommendation always gets mixed reviews, but a good way to save a bundle on speakers is to buy used. I watched Craig's List for a few months and picked up a nice five speaker Paradigm setup on the cheap. If you find somebody upgrading, it's a great way to pick up a set of Mid-fi speakers for Low-fi prices. Just make sure you do a good job of inspecting the cabinets and speaker surrounds for damage or abuse, and ask to listen to them before you buy them.

Back