Choosing Proc or Video Card

NExUS1g

Gawd
I have $200.00. Currently I have an ATi 2600 XT video card along with an Intel Dual Core 2160 running at 1.8 GHz. 2 gig DDR2 RAM. Can't recall the latencies.

I'm looking at the following video card:

PNY VCG88512GXEB-FLB GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133232&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-14-133-232-_-Homepage

I don't think I could beat a $120 8800 with a stick. Worth it?

I know my proc right now is my bottleneck, and I'm watching for good sales on those, too.

Thanks.

If you can spare a bit more, I would try and pick up HD4870; if not, 8800GT is still a great card.

As far as CPU goes; you do want higher frequencies, but as long as it's dual core (too lazy to google) you are fine.

Go with the video card first. I have the same proc and it overclocked to 2.5Ghz without breaking a sweat with the stock cooler. If you need some extra juice just overclock it until you can save upa nother $200 for a Q6600 (mine comes in the mail tomorrow)

Overclock that sucker and get a good video card.
I've got my 2180 running @ 3GHz and it rocks.

If you can spare a bit more, I would try and pick up HD4870; if not, 8800GT is still a great card.

As far as CPU goes; you do want higher frequencies, but as long as it's dual core (too lazy to google) you are fine.

Agreed.

Meant to say 4850, it costs less. 4870 would be a better choice, but 4850 is a great bang for the buck.

The video card will give you a more noticeable improvement in game performance.

Sorry Damon. Figured I'd post in general gaming to get gamer opinions :).

So in over clocking I was able to get my 2160 up to 2.3 GHz stable from its stock 1.8 GHz. That's helped significantly for starters and thanks for the advice.

So what I'm deciding on at newegg.com is....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102747
I've not had any experience with Sapphire, but I know the name. Anyone use this card or another Sapphire card and can vouch for their reliability?

I'll have my old card, but I really don't care to RMA and wait if I can avoid it. : )

Do both, get the new card and RMA the old one. You can sell the old one to help offset the cost, if you don't need it. PM me if you sell it. ;)

If you cash leftover, pickup a better HSF, like the AC Freezer 7 Pro, which will be good enough to take that E2160 to its max (typically around 3.2Ghz). What speed RAM do you have?

Sapphire is ok, but VisionTek would be better (lifetime warranty, better support).

I'd strongly recommend you get a VisionTek, PowerColor, or ASUS branded 4850 rather than the Sapphire. I've had several Sapphire cards and never had an issue, but others have and it seems Sapphire's support and warranty policy could use some real work.

Do both, get the new card and RMA the old one. You can sell the old one to help offset the cost, if you don't need it. PM me if you sell it. ;)

If you cash leftover, pickup a better HSF, like the AC Freezer 7 Pro, which will be good enough to take that E2160 to its max (typically around 3.2Ghz). What speed RAM do you have?

Sapphire is ok, but VisionTek would be better (lifetime warranty, better support).

The RAM's 800 MHz.

I'd strongly recommend you get a VisionTek, PowerColor, or ASUS branded 4850 rather than the Sapphire. I've had several Sapphire cards and never had an issue, but others have and it seems Sapphire's support and warranty policy could use some real work.

My one experience with PowerColor wasn't a happy one and was fairly recent, so I probably will not go with them. VisionTek is coming up a lot so that seems like a good brand to go with.

Back