Choosing between 3 wireless cards

DOOMHAMMA

Gawd
Linked to Amazon just because I have gift card money for there.

D-Link DWA-556
TRENDnet TEW-623PI
Rosewill RNX-N360PC

I am leaning toward the D-Link right now. I will be maybe 10+ feet from the Verizon router/modem, with two walls in between. Will have about 4 roommates ;p I've used the Rosewill RNX-N300X before and found it to be decent, when it works...So I am avoiding that, and that makes me wary of the RNX-N360 model, though I'd be willing to try it anyway. I do not really know TRENDnet's history or reliability. Slot type isn't an issue, I can do whatever. Just looking for opinions. For the record, I did use the search function before making this thread ;)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There are no really good wireless cards - internal or USB - that exist in the consumer market. Every single one of them has one significant problem or another. As a result, "fair" is about the best that you can do with a ready-made wireless card or adapter. You will have to jury-rig a mini-PCI-e Intel wireless adapter card (intended for laptop applications) in order to get any better performance or reliability than any of the ready-made wireless cards or adapters.

With that said, an Asus N300 card that costs about $30 offers the best balance between performance and price. But even so, don't expect better than fair performance.

I just wanted to report that I did exactly this and put it together today and it works excellently! Thank you guys!

Glad to hear it, no problem at all. :) I know I will have a need to build one sometime in the future. I wish pfsense had wireless N support, so I could put one in instead of adding an access point.

2 Intel NICs + Intel wireless N NIC = most awesome diy router ever :)

Back