• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Choosing a USB 3.0 Flash Drive

Something I just learned about the Sandisk Extreme flash drives is that they are now made with the removable media bit permanently turned off. This means that versions since early 2013 with the Win8 Certification logo show up as a fixed drive rather than a removable drive, so it's now just a data stick, not a boot stick.

amazon review about the change
Sandisk forum thread about the change
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does anyone know of an alternative to the sandisk extreme? It is ssd based and extremely quick, I haven't been able to find anything really like it that isn't much larger?
 
I ended up getting the Lexar Jumpdrive P10, which gets close to 250/250. Its only con is that it costs twice as much as the Sandisk Extreme.

Sandisk responded to massive complaints by turning the Sandisk Extreme's removable media bit back on in late 2013. You'll have to figure out for yourself which version you end up with, though, which may be a gamble when buying it online.
 
I have the 256GB version of the Mushkin Ventura Ultra and can definitely recommend it. It's quite pricey but it allows multiple partitions and can be booted up from. The Lexar P10 is a great drive for sequential reads/writes but from my understanding 4k random performance is not very good. Are there any other usb 3 ssd based drives available that allow multiple partitions and supported being booted from?
 
I have the 256GB version of the Mushkin Ventura Ultra and can definitely recommend it. It's quite pricey but it allows multiple partitions and can be booted up from. The Lexar P10 is a great drive for sequential reads/writes but from my understanding 4k random performance is not very good. Are there any other usb 3 ssd based drives available that allow multiple partitions and supported being booted from?

I'm definitely interested in the 240G version of the Mushkin Ventura Ultra - does yours get very hot? I saw the 1 review on Amazon that said that it did, and the reviews on Newegg weren't too bad.

Thanks!
 
Back
Top