Choosing 8800 Card

Karant

Gawd
Hey everybody at [H]! So, while building this new rig of mine, just this week I had ordered myself a Thermalright HR-03 GT w/ 92MM Scythe fan, intending to use it on a 8800 series card. I have been out of the loop for a while, and am confused as to what all these GT cards are doing replacing the previous GTS's, with the only noticable difference being the fan and heatsink. What would you guys suggest I buy considering I've already received my Thermalright HR-03 GT and the stock heatsink and fan is no longer a factor? Thanks!

depending on how much you want to spend. I say get the new GTS or GT. Not worth getting the GTX or Ultra, new cards are coming out very soon. Get an EVGA card, you can step it up when new ones come out and pay the differences.

That's the problem though, eVGA GT 512MB? eVGA GTS 512MB? eVGA GTS 640MB?

Do not get the 320MB or 640MB 8800 GTS. These cards are still fairly expensive but substantially slower than the newer G92 based 8800 GTS 512MB.

The GT and 512MB GTS are based on the G92 core, which is a die-shrunk, slightly revised version of G80 (used in the GTX, Ultra, and 320/640MB GTSs) allowing them to run cooler and clock higher than the older cards. They have more ROPs and stream processors than the previous GTS card -- 112 on the GT, 128 on the new GTS. Simply put, they're faster than everything save the 8800 GTXs and Ultras, and then, often the GTX/Ultra only pulls away at very high (1920x1200+) resolutions.

Return the Thermalright and the fan, pick up an 8800 GTS 512MB for $270 AR or whatever the current Newegg deal is, and be happy. More stream processors than the GT, it runs cooler, it's quieter, it OCs better, it doesn't cost much more.

I'm insistent on using a Thermalright cooled system, so I'm not going to return the HR-03 GT. However, what I'm essentially asking now is how big of a difference performance-wise (disregarding the heatsink/fan included on any cards) between a GT 512MB and a GTS 512MB? Thanks.

At relatively low resolutions (and no AA) the difference between the 8800GT and GTS512 can be substantial. However, the 8800GT will typically offer a better price/performace ratio in most situations, although both are quite reasonably priced. In short, if you can easily afford either, try and find a good deal on the 8800GTS, but if you're keeping your money tight, get the GT.

At relatively high resolutions (and high AA) the difference between the 8800GT and GTS512 can be substantial. However, the 8800GT will typically offer a better price/performace ratio in most situations, although both are quite reasonably priced. In short, if you can easily afford either, try and find a good deal on the 8800GTS, but if you're keeping your money tight, get the GT.

Fixed.

Back