• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Choose your destiny: Core i...

Gh+st

n00b
Joined
Sep 22, 2007
Messages
7
7

5

or 3? I've heard good arguments for overclocking the lower speed chips (much like the debate that raged over which conroe chip to pick up). Which will be the top seller? Place your bets...
 
I think the I3 with the 32nm and 4 HT's is going to be an overclocking monster
 
i7 860 is what I'm eyeing right now, but once it drops on the 8th (rumored), I'll decide whether to go X58/i7-920 or P55/i7-860, all comes down to pricing for me.
 
i7 860 is what I'm eyeing right now, but once it drops on the 8th (rumored), I'll decide whether to go X58/i7-920 or P55/i7-860, all comes down to pricing for me.

lolo I'm the same thing, but my has only 15 920's left>.> Maybe I should buy one now just incase and then sell it if I decide on the 860
 
your what? microcenter? I'm nowhere near one anyway, it's newegg or bust for me, unless fry's has some weird sale, but I doubt they even beat newegg after tax, etc..
 
i7. both desktop and mobile. i7-9xx for desktop and i7-6xx for mobile.
 

The way prices are shaking out, LGA1156 motherboards will be priced higher than X58 boards, and the same applies to their CPUs. The differences will offset any price advantage they would sport compared to i7 920/X58 (despite X58 requiring that additional stick). Everything else (except the power supply, at the worst) can lateral. (If I wind up buying a 500W or greater power supply, that can lateral, too, as most of these also support the EPS 8-pin connector that most X58 motherboards require. I can go budget X58/i7 920 upgrade now for no worse than $650 (I7 920 retail, ASUS P6T, 2 GB x3 of Corsair XMS3 and any of the following: Antec TruePower 650, EarthWatts 650, or even Silencer 500. (MicroCenter pricing, no less, and retail.) Everything else laterals. (Keyboard and mouse are USB, and the only PATA drive is optical; the P6T still retains one PATA port, just as my current P5N-EM does.) Pricing on everything will most likely keep dropping. I'm in no rush right now, as nothing calls out for i7 right now.
 
Last edited:
I had really thought I would go i5 750 for some time now. But after seeing what Kyle and Dan had to say about the cost of P55 boards I said to hell with waiting.

I made the 2+ hour round trip to Micro Center over the weekend and picked up a i7 920. Ordered my board and ram from newegg, everything else got carried over from my old PC.

End cost my upgrade was about $535 after rebates and worth every penny. In the end I paid more for my C2Q, board, and ram back when I bought it. Though with the C2Q I spent less on the board and I am more comfortable with that arrangement.

Anyway don't forget you don't have to go triple channel on an X58. Also I can't speak for all boards but mine is running fine on a 4pin aux. I will be getting a new PSU when I finally figure out what case I am going to order. Probably the Corsair 800D assuming I get over the few dislikes I have with it.
 
i5 750 and a uATX P55 mobo. It's an excellent set-up that trumps any of the 9xx or 8xx offerings for me.
 
Probably the Corsair 800D assuming I get over the few dislikes I have with it.
Get the Corsair 850tx, mines works great.

How come the i9 isn't mentioned in here? It's going to be pretty cool... however I already have the i7 920 so thats where my bet is, lol.
 
Last edited:
I convinced my wife to allow me one 'no-questions-asked' upgrade for my computer next year. :p So I'm thinking of making the jump to a Core iX. Where can I do some research on the new chips coming out and also the boards that will be compatible with them?

Also, is there any info out there about the possible price point of the i5's or i3's?
 
Get the Corsair 850tx, mines works great.

How come the i9 isn't mentioned in here? It's going to be pretty cool... however I already have the i7 920 so thats where my bet is, lol.
the 800D is a case... :p

as for the OP's question, i say go i7 920, the price isnt that bad anymoe and the x58 platform has already proved itself, i say go for it.
 
If you have a Microcenter in a location near you, $200 i7 all the way. I did the same thing as TGA and took a two hour round trip to my "local" Microcenter and it was totally worth it. I suppose my total cost for upgrade for motherboard + CPU + RAM + case was around $600.
 
Of note, if anyone's in the Denver area, our Microcenter literally has dozens of i7 920's...so it's not like they're in short supply.
 
Well I am wavering between the 860 and 920. I think it will all come down the reviews of boards and real pricing in the field. I am looking towards a late October upgrade from my C2D 6600 so maybe some of the early gouging on the p55 stuff will be get close to over.
 
Well I am wavering between the 860 and 920. I think it will all come down the reviews of boards and real pricing in the field. I am looking towards a late October upgrade from my C2D 6600 so maybe some of the early gouging on the p55 stuff will be get close to over.

Im in the same boat. I was so close to getting the i7 920 until I heard about the i5's coming out now its just a price vs performance for me... And how big of a check I get that week
 
Unless I'm missing something, I would say I7 920 for now cause its basically the same price right now.
920 cpu is cheaper and you can get decent mobos for $200 or less depending on deals. My rigs are mainly used for crunching & folding, so I need HT.

Granted there will be some p55 boards closer to $100-150, I think its still worth it to go I7 920 for a tiny bit more. Unless there are any facts showing no performance improvements with the 920's over 860's. will have to wait for some real world testing and comparisons before making final decision.
 
The x58 mobos have more going for them if you plan on utilizing it: better pci slots, more memory.

If you plan on crossfiring/sli/whatever uses more memory, the 1366 is the obvious choice.

Lots (and I mean most of the average consumers) never ever use most of those features, and the i5 will offer similar processor performance without the price of features that they'll never use.

So for the slightly more hardcore gamer crowd (sli/crossfire), x58 all the way, for everyone else, i5. Though with the new gen of graphics cards, less and less people will need to crossfire to get what they want out of their computer. Me, along with plenty of people on here I'm sure, like having more powerful rigs even if they don't need it much or at all, i7 is for them.

There's also the order of overclocking. I expect but don't know for sure, that x58 will overclock notably better. But then again, people running i5 rigs probably don't need to overclock much since they probably won't be sli/crossfiring anything. Harder to bottleneck 1 card.
 
How come the i9 isn't mentioned in here? It's going to be pretty cool... .

I'm leaning that way myself. I'm pretty happy with my current setup for now and can/will wait for the next monster to come along
 
It'll probably be the i5 750 for me. An i7 920 platform even with a $200 i7 is a little more than I can afford right now and I can buy an i5 750, micro ATX mobo, and 4GB of some cheapish DDR3 for around the price of a comparable Phenom II quad setup. It'll be even better when the prices settle. Considering I'm using a system with an Athlon X2 3800 and 2GB of ram, it will be a massive upgrade for me.
 
Back
Top