Choose Which NIC To Use?

gerbiaNem

2[H]4U
So I decided to connect my computers for file sharing using my router. My desktop connects to both my school network (10mbit for internet), and my router (100mbit for sharing folders).

I've read that by default, windows chooses the fastest network to connect to the internet, so it connects to my school through my router since it detects the 100mbit connection(i can connect to router interface through firefox). Howerver, the router is already burdened with 2 computers, so connecting my desktop directly to the school network at 10mbit would be faster.

How do I make windows use the direct connection for internet usage?

YeOldeStonecat said:
Remove the gateway on the one you don't want to use. Give it a static IP and SNM.

How do I go about giving it SNM? I have the SNMP service installed btw.

serbiaNem said:
How do I go about giving it SNM? I have the SNMP service installed btw.

SNM is shorthand for subnet mask. Has nothing to do with SNMP. Just make sure you have a static IP (192.168.x.x or whatever) and the appropriate subnet mask (255.255.255.0).

Don't forget your dns servers as well.

Party2go9820 said:
SNM is shorthand for subnet mask. Has nothing to do with SNMP. Just make sure you have a static IP (192.168.x.x or whatever) and the appropriate subnet mask (255.255.255.0).

Don't forget your dns servers as well.

No DNS servers either, unless you're joining an active directory network on that NIC. But if you want to shut off internet access on this NIC, as I mentioned above, no gateways, and logically you wouldn't need DNS servers either.

Back