Chokes, VRMs, Mosfets and the million dollar question (56k = fail)

Hello [H],

Yes, that 56k fail is a shameless attempt to get you to read my thread. Though there are 2 images that are each 10 megapixels further down. To view the larger image just click either image to take you to the high res version.

I have a few questions about my ASUS P6X58D-e motherboard and the part I received via advanced RMA. I ended up figuring out that my old board was indeed not defective, but just needed cleaner power, and my voltage where the psu was plugged into the wall could vary from 114v-121v, through my UPS it only dips down to 118v. They are both identical models, yet I could see a few small differences so I decided to take a few pictures (more to follow) and see if you guys could help me determine which one uses better components.

The first area of difference is right to the side of the CPU towards the RAM. There are 6 solder points on the replacement and 12 on the new. The old one uses 1ROE VRMs (I think that's what those are) next to the RAM and the new one uses 1RO. The MOSFETS next to the CPU are different.

I'm posting very high res pictures because with them you can read the markings on individual parts.

You can tell the old from the new by the three blue ram slots. The latches are open on the old one.

I also think that the design of the new one, while not different enough to require a revision change, may be better because they learned how to make the board more cheaply after some time. But that's not based on any scientific analysis, which is what I need from you guys.

If you click on them, you'll open up a 3872px2592px version. I just didn't want you guys to have to scroll to read my text.

I would personally keep the 1.01G version of the board. Those "solder points" are actually capacitors.

The 1.00G version has 6 and the 1.01G version has 3.

The fact that they got rid of 3 of the capacitors probably means that they were able to get clean enough power to the CPU without needing the extra capacitors.

I bet they changed a voltage regulator or two or possibly just changed a few trace lengths.

There is probably a good reason they made a new revision. I would suspect that the new version would be slightly more stable and easier to overclock.

Perhaps you should add NSFW to the tile of your thread considering the other images in your photo stream!:p

Yeaaaaah thanks. Somewhat embarassing. Going to go to sleep now and pretend that never happened.

Back