• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Choices for new AMD64 system

iluvatar

n00b
Joined
Nov 19, 2004
Messages
6
Looking for recommendations between these two cases. My main needs are (1) Cool and (2) Quiet. This will be for my AMD64 system with a 9700 and two hdd's in raid. I already have a PSU so it doesnt matter.
Choices are:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-119-029&DEPA=0
and,
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=11-129-140&DEPA=0

Now I work at Best Buy and I can get the Antec for the same price as NewEgg has it, and I wont have to worry about shipping, or I can pay around $50 more(after shpping) for the CoolerMaster, which I think looks a ton better. Like I said, the main things are it is cool and quiet, so my question is it worth the extra money. I like that the Antec uses 120mm fans, but the Coolermaster looks to be built alot better. I will be extremely dissapointed though if my temps suck in the Coolermaster no matter how good it looks, its basically the whole point of me upgrading. I have an Antec Lanboy now that I cant even keep the side door on because it gets so hot. But I have a P4 in it now, and the AMD64 is cooler anyway. If anyone has the Coolermaster case I would like to know ambient temps, thoughts, etc., they both seem to have really good reviews on Newegg. And please dont recommend the P160, I think it is ugly as all hell.
 
Id go with the coolermaster.. I don't know what people see in the Sonata as far as looks go. It is a "beige" box that is painted black.
 
ppl say Sonata is very quiet case. I dunno if this is true, but my Antec Lanboy bassicly makes less noise than Chieftech DX-01. Sonata is improved Lanboy.
 
Can anyone attest to the temps of the Coolermaster? I want to make sure those 80mm's will do it.
 
u can always make a case quieter if it is too loud for ur liking, dont get the antec, its ugly, if the other one is too loud, get quiet fans....problem solved
 
gamekid said:
u can always make a case quieter if it is too loud for ur liking, dont get the antec, its ugly, if the other one is too loud, get quiet fans....problem solved

No, the only issue i have with the Coolermaster is I want to know if the case if cool, so I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with it.
 
lol, I guess one person thought the cases were the Praetorian and the Sonata (which was wrong) and everyone assumed he was right.
 
Thats exactly what I was thinking, and the Sonata is not a beige case painted black, it has an extremely nice finsih on the side and top panels, piano black. The sonata is extremely hefty but is extremely quiet. When I say extremely quiet I mean like, if it were on the floor under your desk, you probably wouldn't notice it over your keystrokes or your breathing lol.
 
Praetorian is somewhat noisy, but if you just 7v or 5v the fans it's fine. My temps are pretty good with stock cooling. CoolerMaster certainly impressed me with the quality of the case, much better than my Lian Li. I'll not likely be buying from another brand any time soon.

Praetorian is the best mid-tower case around $100, period.
 
bobsaget said:
That isn't the Sonata... :confused:
Yeah your right. Its a different version of a Lanboy.

Sonata is this:
bg_antec02.jpg
.
 
Well since I work at BB, Id kick myself if I didnt try out the Antec case first. So I tried it, and although its a nice case inside, its too ugly for my taste, Im gonna return it. I just ordered the Praetorian and some sleeving from Newegg, and Im waiting on the clear side window to be in stock. Ive built with Coolermaster before and they are always top notch, I hope this one is as well.

edit: Ive seen silver Coolermaster cd/dvd covers on cases before, but it doesnt look like Newegg has them, does anyone know who sells them?
 
To who were you talking too? And why would he/I do that? Cooling of Lanboy is cool enough.
 
No, the cooling of the lanboy sucks when you have alot of devices in it, thats basically the reason Im getting a new case. There are other factors, as its just too small and cramped for me, but mainly it.
I did think of adding a side fan too it, but I dont have the tools to cut nicely through that plexi...
 
Heh. My cooles fine, and I have AXP3200+ (52C idle, on 2800rpm CPUfan), 6800'GT' OC (46C idle), few hdd's and other stuff. Temp in case is ussualy 37-40C. Im happy with Lanboy. Cramped? Check topic "show your rig", 12th page or here around. My case. If you hide cables, and take few hours to build up components, it looks nice. Check eet! (=
 
Dude those are really high temps, and would be unacceptable to me. I know you have an AMD, but Intel only guarentees their stock cooler will work at case temps 38 C or below, to put in in perspective. Anything idling in the 50's isnt very good.
 
Back
Top