Choices between DELL 2001FP and Viewsonic VP201b

Sikpupi

Limp Gawd
Keeping in mind that in Europe the price between these 2 screens is not so much. Really you guys do not realise how lucky you are with the prices in USA.

Anyhow the DELL is 1100 euro and the Viewsonic is 1250 euro
Probably by the time I have saved up enough to buy it the prices will have come down a little bit more.

Any major differences between the two units?

Being Danish I'm in a similar situation to you. I have looked into both models and there are some things you need to be aware of buying.

1) The Viewsonic model comes in at aproximately 2000 DKK less than the Dell model.
2) The Viewsonic is an upgraded model which means that you will still find models with a 25ms response time. I have been in touch with Viewsonic US. They state that the all US models are equipped with the 16ms but could not say anything about the Danish models. My guess is that you need to be wary then buying this monitor. That being said, when you have saved enough this probably won't be an issue.

I am planning to buy the Viewsonic because of the money I can save on that model. However I will be on the lookout when doing so because cirkulation essentially decides when we see the 16ms models here i Denmark.

And yes, the US guys really don't know how fortuanate they are with the pricing. I mean come on, the Dell FP2001 is double of what they can get it for in the US. Somebody send me one PRONTO :)

Aaah thanks for that. I wasn't aware that the Viewsonic has 25ms versions floating around. I probably can't buy till June anyway (saved 400 euro so far).
Of course then there will be a newer, greater model making this entire conversation null and void :D

By June it's still a great monitor. I am hoping for new version which will drive the price of the current models down allowing me to get one. I just can't justify a 10k expenditure on a monitor. (Maybe I can, but the gf would murder me in an instant) :)

Just got an e-mail from Viewsonic here in Denmark stating that the new version will arrive in Q2 here i Denmark.

Just checking again the viewsonic webpages and it does appear that the same models advertised in the Finnish pages are 25ms.
Luckily I discovered the VP201S which is the same model but in a nice silver colour. Will order as soon as I am certain to get a 16ms version.

I just love the way that Europe gets all the cast offs and you really have to search for the info to get it.

I am in the same boat as you guys, but in America.

I just called Viewsonic USA and they told me it falls between 16ms and 25ms, so either someone there is confused or they don't realize that the displays should have been updated.

I was not aware though that the new VP201b used the same panel as the Dell 2001FP.

I just got this mail from Viewsonic Finland. It at least provides a way to tell the 25ms from the 16ms (apparently)

Hi,

Here's the answer to your question below

16ms panel cut-in serial number - VP201s (silver) A2U033900001 or later (last 5 digits are individual for each unit)

16ms panel cut-in serial number - VP201b (black) A21033900121 or later (last 5 digits are individual for each unit)

digit 4 & 5 = Year
digit 6 & 7 = week

But, is the viewsonic any better than the dell? Performance wise, or anything else, like dead pixels or features?

I am looking at buying 2 LCD's w/in the next week. The extra couple hundred dollars isn't that painful, if there is a valid reason for the Viewsonic costing more.

Edit: Dell's website doesn't show the native resolution for the 2001fp. Dell just says the "max" resolution is 1600x1200. However the ViewSonic has a native resolution of 1600x1200, and it recommends running that resolution.

I run my monitor now at 1600x1200, but I don't usually run my games that low. I am starting to like the Viewsonic (even if a couple hundred more). However, I still see no definate advantage to either of them.

There are no real advantages they both seem to have their own pros and cons.
Personally I think that the viewsonic looks better, a little more professional looking. Especially the embossed birds in the top left corner. The viewsonic is also available in silver (my choice)
I think the Dell looks a little cheap (my own opinion)

I just got the NEC Multisync 2080UX+ this puppy has a 16ms response. I have used the Dell and the viewsonic at work and the NEC is considerable better. I got it for £888 ex vat...

Just a suggestion

How could the NEC be better? All three monitors use the same panel although Viewsonic had a version out with 25ms which obvoiusly would be worse than the NEC.

Back