Choice of card

Occidio

[H]ard|Gawd
I am going to make a secondary machine for server and side games and I was trying to choose from one of my old video cards I have laying around.
I am kind of a pack rat and still have all of my old video cards along with mobo's and proc's.
The choice I was trying to figure out is between the following two.
MSI R6570 2gig DX11 650mhz 1334ramdac 128bit
PNY Gefore GTS 250 1gig DX10 738mhz 2200ramdac 256bit

One one side, the PNY is one of those beefy 2 slot gaming cards from back in the day. On the other side, the MSI is a slightly more modern card with more memory one slot card. The DX is kind of a nil issue since this will be an XP box.
I know cards are pretty cheap for the old ones but I am only going to make this out of stuff I have laying around. I have 8 other cards but these two are the most latest renditions.

What are your thoughts?

The GTS 250 is faster by a large enough margin not to justify picking the AMD card just for DX11 support.

Thanks for the input so far. I was not worried about the DX since it will be XP. I was mostly curious about the fact it will run cooler with the r6570 since it is one slot smaller card. It does however have more memory also.

Thanks for the input so far. I was not worried about the DX since it will be XP. I was mostly curious about the fact it will run cooler with the r6570 since it is one slot smaller card. It does however have more memory also.

The memory isn't going to help if its slow as hell to begin with. To put it in perspective, its slower than a 5670 which is slower than an HD4850, which is really slow these days.

The GTS 250 is literally a rebadged 9800GTX+, it is hard to find any sort of direct comparison but I would bank on it being at least 30% faster.

Ok. Thanks again. I will go with the 250 unless I decide I that I go and plug it into the 32" Visio I have next to me. If I go that route the r6570 has an HDMI output whereas the 250 doesn't.

Back