Choice Between These 2 Fans

Between those two, I would say the gelid. However, I think jab-tech is still selling Gentle Typhoons for $16.95 and those are generally perceived as being better than the slip streams or gelids.

So is it important to go PWM on the CPU fan?

I'm so unsure when it comes to fan control. As I understand it, fan speed can be controlled by either pulse-width or by voltage. This controlling can be done by a fan-controller, a software program, or through the BIOS (if it has fan control settings).

My BIOS has separate target temps for the MB & CPU along with separate level settings for the CPU & case fan. As I understand it, both fans will maintain the level I select until the determined target temps are reached, at which point the fans kick into full speed.

Right now the i5 has the stock Intel HSF installed, which, I believe has a PWM fan. So given how I have the BIOS configured, is the PWM function even being utilized?

Edit: My understanding of target temps and level settings in the BIOS can't be right. Running a blend test, the MB temps (SYSTIN) stayed below the target temp of 50C, yet the case fan's RPM rose significantly from idle speeds (~750rpm) to ~1200rpm. This blows away my theory that the fans would operate at the constant level I set until the target temps are reached (this is actually what the tech at ASRock told me, but they all seemed like morons).

Last edited:
Back