chkdsk after overclock

ho72

Weaksauce
NOTE: Message edited to reflect a better reading of Events:

After running my 3770K on an Asus P8 Z77-V Pro for about a year, I decided to bump the speed up to 4.4GHz via the mulitplier. Things seemed to settle in nicely at 1.224 volts (max observed using -.020 offset), temps never went above 77C under stress. No Prime errors, no WHEA events, no weirdness... except: I get random messages about once a week in Win 8's Action Center telling me a disk needs to be checked for errors.

In reviewing the Event logs, the disk in question has an unrecognizable Volume designation: (System Warning): Volume \\?\Volume{e98bebb1-7862-11e2-be65-806e6f6e6963} (\Device\HarddiskVolume1) requires an Online Scan. (Summary Page Events): Chkdsk was executed in scan mode on a volume snapshot. No errors are reported.

I never saw this before I overclocked, so what could be going on here?

Thanks.

PS: Disregard the sig, it needs a refresh. :)

Last edited:
the only thing i can think of is that the sata controller is on a chip that the overclock is pulling alot of amps through. might have too much voltage drop on the chip housing the sata controller. possibly bump the voltage up abit on the south bridge or northbridge to see if it goes away? could be pulling to many amps for your psu..

for example 100 watt cpu at 1 volt... means 100 amps... 1.5 volt... would put it at 150 amps big difference. might be overkill of an explanation but it is on par nonetheless.

What option in the bios would increase the voltage as you suggest?

Read up on the internet about it. Thats the only advice i would share to give. I don't want to tell you something and you fry your stuff and feel like it was my fault.

Back