Chirping/Squealing Video card

speedrat

Limp Gawd
I just purchased a new ASUS EN8800GTS/HTDP/640M GeForce 8800GTS 640MB and I am running it in SLI. It is emitting a low, slow chirping noise since I bought it. It doesn't do it all the time, it appears to be very random. It almost sounds like a hamster wheel. I guess my question is can something like that be fixed/configured or is it just an RMA? I am running the latest NVIDIA drivers and it is stock clocked. Could it be some sort of harmonic noise issue with the other card?

Try running it solo to rule out your hypothesis of some kinda harmonic disturbance first.

Since you just bought it though, I'd just RMA it to be safe...probably some passive components on their way to doooooooom.

You might want to check out this thread. A lot of people, including myself, have buzzing/squealing 8800s. I have yet to hear of someone who has RMAed and received a card that didn't have the same problem.

If I am not mistaken, these cards have a buzzer on them that will sound an alarm when the supply voltage dips below safe operating levels. You could be taxing too heavily, a rail on your PSU, causing voltage to sag to the point of generating an alarm beep.

If I am not mistaken, these cards have a buzzer on them that will sound an alarm when the supply voltage dips below safe operating levels. You could be taxing too heavily, a rail on your PSU, causing voltage to sag to the point of generating an alarm beep.

The cards do have an alarm on them, but I don't believe that's what he's talking about. I've booted my computer without any PCI-E power connected, and that alarm was FAR louder than the squeal I get when I play a game.

Update:

I finally had a chance to do some troubleshooting last night and I'm happy to report it wasn't my video card squealing. It was one of the case fans that was squealing. Its an old one and I guess it was time. New one on order....I made an assumption about the video card since the noise started as soon as I installed the new card. And we all know the saying about ASSumptions!

Thanks for all the tips, though. Good stuff! :)

Back