Chipsets, Mobos, and Quad-core

NulloModo

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey,

Does anyone out there with some info on upcoming Intel chipset knowledge know if mobos officially supporting Conroe (mainly the 965 chipset and Bensley I guess) will support the quad-core processors when they come out?

My computer is getting very long in tooth, and I'd like to take the Conroe or Woodcrest upgrade path (not sure if I want to go just dual core or go for two dual core procs yet), but at the same time, the appeal of having 4 cores in a single socket or 8 in two by just waiting till the start of next year is also very appealing.

And, yeah yeah, I know the whole 'if you keep waiting something better is always around the corner addage' but I am bad about following it. I was using a K6-2 450 Mhz until I finally upgraded to a P4 2.4 Ghz.

I would certainly wait until Conroe is released and more mobos are available. I do not see any reason why they would not support the quad-core procs, but I would say you are better off waiting until some of the new n5 boards and such arrive. I am quite certain that the first quad-core procs are going to be for the server platform, so in that case you wont be using them in a conroe-based mobo, but after that I do not imagine it would be a good idea for intel to cause an upgrade problem there.

given intel's recent trackrecord, I am willing to bet money that the first conroe chipsets will not support any quad-core CPUs.

Intel said all Conroe supporting mobos will support Kentsfield too.

Look at the beast running on an Intel 975XBX Bad Axe 304 mobo :

Kentsfielduakciji.jpg
;)

http://theinquirer.net/?article=32154

Apparently there are 2 versions of Kentsfield , normal one , 80w , 2-2.2GHz and performance one , 120w , probably 2.4-2.6GHz.

savantu said:
Intel said all Conroe supporting mobos will support Kentsfield too.

Look at the beast running on an Intel 975XBX Bad Axe 304 mobo :

http://theinquirer.net/?article=32154

Apparently there are 2 versions of Kentsfield , normal one , 80w , 2-2.2GHz and performance one , 120w , probably 2.4-2.6GHz.

So the 965 boards will support the slower Kentsfield CPUs or the faster or both? Either way it is good news I guess, I can upgrade to Conroe when it comes out and have the ability to upgrade to Kentsfield half a year later and e-bay or forum-sell my Conroe chip.

savantu, i am inclined to think that Kentsfield clock speeds will be higher then 2.2-2.4 Ghz. That seems kind of low, but for quad core, it makes sense.

Duke3d87 said:
savantu, i am inclined to think that Kentsfield clock speeds will be higher then 2.2-2.4 Ghz. That seems kind of low, but for quad core, it makes sense.

Personally, I'd rather have 4x 2.4 than 2x 3,33

Back