• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Chipset Fans

Oline61

Gawd
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
869
I am looking to replace the stock chipset fan on my MSI K8N Neo4 Plat because it is way to loud even when slowed by a fan controller. Any reccomendations? Will I have to take the motherboard out of the case to replace it? Should I use thermal paste?
 
Get a passive heatsink. You will have to use somthing to trim off some pins so that your vid card will fit. Yes you need to take your motherboard out. Absolutely you should use some thermal paste!
Here are some that you can use:
Zalmans chipset coolers
www.zalmanusa.com

Coolermaster
http://www.coolermaster.com/index.p...her_title=+PAC-P01+Northbridge Chipset Cooler

Thermalright (click on chipset coolers)
http://www.thermalright.com/

Thats pretty much it. All of those WILL REQUIRE TRIMMING.
I personally have the coolermaster one on my NB and I had to remove 3 rows of pins to have my vid card fit. Have fun! Its moddin time!
 
Wouldn't my temperatures get to high with a passive cooler? After an hour of gaming my temperatures are already pushing 40C on the chipset with an active cooler. I plan to OC once I get my new PSU, and then temperatures will get even hotter.
 
I'm not quite shure what the temp. tolerances are for the NB, but I'm sure if you want less sound the only other option for you is passive. If you have good air flow in your case I dont see a problem
 
Black-Falcon said:
but I'm sure if you want less sound the only other option for you is passive.
Quoted for truth.

The Zalman NB47J will work, just make sure you get some airflow in the area. The best thing you can do is maybe point a quiet 80mm fan at it to keep the heatsink cool, as the nF4 chip gets very hot.
 
I think that any fan would be quieter than my stock fan. It is deafening, and it drowns out the 120mm fan in the front of my case when the 120 has 12V and the chipset has 7V. I was thinking about http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835110102
Would this provide better cooling than just a plain heatsink? It would go in without any mods because it is so short. I'm sure it will be much quieter than my current fan.
 
Just an update. I received the fan and installed it, system is now much quieter. My temps are down 3-4C to. It is much more substantial than my stock fan, fits under the video card, is almost completely silent, and has a mirror finish on the base.
 
I have put one on my sisters computer....but I cant remember....does it remove the high pitch whine that the stock one had? Thats whats driving me nuts.....what sucks though is that in my insanity while i was putting on a passive heatsink i let it get too tilted and cracked/scraped two corners off of my NB...I'm hoping for the best, but I've already set aside $180 for a new MB for Worst case scenario......that would be the pits.
 
I once saw a review of that board where in a picture you could see when they took off the chipset cooler it had just a lil dab of white goo in the corner, not even covering the middle of the chipset! I built a comp for a friend w/ that board once, but saw that review after. Just e-mailed him a link to that copper Vantec cooler. Thx for the info.
 
Back
Top