Chipset fan

morningreis

[H]ard|Gawd
My chipset fan is a bit loud. Was 100% silent in the beginning, but now is audible, and it's getting on my nerves. I don't think it's on the verge of breaking, but I would like to get a replacement. Something reliable, but quiet. A a passive cooler would do so long as it is known to be good.

I looked on Newegg for chipset fans, and they seem to be very limited in that category.

Thanks.

I have a swiftech 195-CU, here. I love it because it's nearly silent even with the fan running, and it's a very reliable fan. The passive solutions are great as long as you have REALLY good case airflow - I opted to just get one with a fan. Like I said, it's nearly silent and will keep any chipset frosty.

Does the 195-CU come with a 3 prong connector. I have a fan controller and may get this and then control the fan speed.

It uses the standard 3-pin molex but only has the +12V and GND wires, no sensor. You should be able to connect it to a fan controller, but I haven't read anything on how it responds to PWM if that's what your controller uses.

Kangg said:
I've always liked this for a motherboard chipset cooler. it's inexpensive and does a pretty decent job. http://www.svc.com/vansolcopvga.html
That kinda reminds me of the stock HSF units that seem to die fairly often on motherboards. Maybe it's a higher quality fan, but it looks just like the cheap units - and for the price it probably is.

You see this is my situation:

I can be assured a cooler with a fan will perform well, or as well as my stock cooler, but no guarantee that it will be quiet.

And also...

I can be assured that a passive cooler will be silent, but no guarantee it will perform well.

I think I'm just gonna go for http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118214 unless I see a better passive solution.

Well, that cooler on my a8n-e board (running NF4-ultra as well) keeps the same temps as with the active fan that came with the board. I thought that it would coole better with my zalman vga cooler right next to it... nope. still the same temp. I have really considered the swiftech model stated above but I've already invested in a chipset cooler and really debate spending more than I have to to keep it cool. just my 2 cents.

Back