• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Chipset Clock Mode

Polyphemus

n00b
Joined
Feb 19, 2004
Messages
44
Hi, me again loll

I have a Asus P4S800 MoBo, I updated my bios today and one of the settings changed. I dont understand what that setting is for and maybe you can help me understand cause Asus user guide doesnt explain anything, it just tell's you that you can change it without explaining what the difference will be.

My old bios version was :

Asus P4S800 ACPI Bios Revision 1003

My new bios version is :

Asus P4S800 ACPI Bios Revision 1006

With the 1003 revision, the chipset clock mode was set by default to Asynchronous, and now with the 1006 revision the chipset clock mode is set to synchronous.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what all of that asynchronous and synchronous do and means cause I have no clue and I am wondering if I should change it back.

Thank you in advance for your input.
 
synch will offer best performance. that means the clocks are running in a 1:1 ratio FSB to Dram and thru the bridges. pretty much, <correct me if i am wrong> the data is all flowing at a 1:1 ratio in your system. asynchronous means that they are devided <FSB-DRAM ratio> as in a 5/4 devider, or a 3/2 devider. youll need those when reaching higher FSB speeds because no ram i know of will run 1:1 at 300FSB. maybe like the new PC4300 with a ton of voltage but, other than that i know of none.

C
 
Back
Top