Chipped NForce4 die!

Kimo

n00b
Joined
Apr 9, 2005
Messages
10
Hey everyone - Long time lurker first time poster.

I recently bought an ASUS a8n-E from newegg, and unfortunately something was wong with the chipset from the beginning I was getting reandom and frequent lockups, weird behavior and then the board finally up and died.

Turns out my Nforce 4 NB was chipped, a-la the Thunderbirds of yore. Be really careful with these, even rocking the heatsink for the NB chip a little can crack the exposed die on the NF4. Asus has this little plastic shim around the NB die but it is not thick enough to prevent damage.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks!
 
It happens sometimes. If you're going to actually poke at it for some reason you have to be very careful not to make it go kablooey.
 
Like an Id10t I held my board up by the nb heatsink...I have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe and my comp works fine...I will never buy another pre built system again unless it's just an unbelivably good deal, and that would have to be for either a tech machine or server...I know this is off topic, but I'm lookin for the Linux windows emulator thing...I think it's called Lindos....
 
Rtstrider said:
Like an Id10t I held my board up by the nb heatsink...I have an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe and my comp works fine...I will never buy another pre built system again unless it's just an unbelivably good deal, and that would have to be for either a tech machine or server...I know this is off topic, but I'm lookin for the Linux windows emulator thing...I think it's called Lindos....

www.lindows.com ? :p
 
Wine?

Lindows is a specific distro of Linux which (I believe) was renamed to Linspire a while ago over trademark issues.
 
Back
Top