Chiped my naked 146 :(

Postal Dude

Limp Gawd
I was mounting my new Apex ultra kit last night on my naked 146. I used the base plate and the screw/nut combo cus i have lost my original back plate. Putting even turns on either side of the block when i heard a small crunch. Taking the block back off, on one corner there is an L shaped chip that goes round the corner. Bout 2mm from the corner and bout .5mm in to the core. Only very small. Havent managed to get it all back together and fire it up to see if it works yet. Hopin its ok. Dont wanna pour any more money into an obsolete platform.

I've chipped plenty of cpu's just like that in the past and they all work fine.

However, they run hotter, sometimes ALOT hotter. So watch out for that. Don't get any conductive arctic silver in the area either, might do bad things. I'd suggest using arctic cermique from now on with that chip.

I had an AXIA 1.0GHz Athlon (socketA) that I ran at 1.302GHz all day (woot 30% overclock) but anyways I was putting on a better HSF one day (ironic?) and I chipped the core.

From what I remember pre-cracking idle was something like 40C and post cracking idle was in the 50s. Terrrible. It died later that week.

Had a 2800+ barton that I chipped right after taking it out of the box. Ran in the low 40s with stock cooler, low 30's with AS5 and a SI97.

i chipped my newark once and it read -122c to -123c in the bios. then like a month later, it got chipped again and died for good :rolleyes: :D

I've got a pretty sizeable crack across my GPU core, it works fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's across the I, see?

3076365e.jpg

The 1600+ Palomino in my dad's computer has cracks all over, and has been working fine for the last 2 years. :eek:

(cf)Eclipse said:
i chipped my newark once and it read -122c to -123c in the bios. then like a month later, it got chipped again and died for good :rolleyes: :D
I have a design for a keychain case for that Newark, soon hopefully, I will get it made and get pictures.

lol. i got corner chips on my newark from several mountings, remountings, reremoutings, etc... shes still runing 38c load with a TRight ultra 90 on her with avid gameplay/folding.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I Will try and get the rest of my case modded to accomodate the Apex this weekend. See if it fires up. If not i'll jus sell the RAM n mobo and invest in a core2duo setup. Think a e6400 will appreciate the apex more than my 146 :D

Jus gonna be a while using a celery M laptop :(

Come on guys get your head out of your ass when you work on your rigs... Chipping cpus? WTF...lol

In 13 years of system building I can't say I've ever chipped a cpu. I did however, while working at IBM, break an entire dimm slot off of an IBM Netfinity RS6000 server 16-slot memory board which instantly turned it into a piece of garbage. :D

Hell a guy across the line from me knocked his entire 200lb server off of the rollers which smashed into the concrete floor and bent it all up and cracked all the plastic into a million pieces. lol

Thankfully IBM didn't dock our pay. When you build almost 50 Netfinity servers a day, you're bound to wreck one at some point.

thats crazy, I was trying to remove my IHS 2 nights ago and i was nervious :) and bent like 9 pins and then had to use tweezers and a credit card to get them all back...

needless to say that my IHS is still on and It will be until I can get some of my medical conditions that cause my resting heart rate to be around 100 bpm down a little to give me some more steady hands :)

lol adidas. i actually "decapped" my first processor a week ago, an x2 3800. heres a HORROR pic :D
computers002.jpg

computers005.jpg

i was shakin n sweatin for the first 5 min. i finally got pissed after making no progress and said screw it, if i mess up, o well. i went gung ho on the lil guy and got it off in like 1 min flat. no, i didnt hurt it, and yes, it still works just fine. i used the black foam pad that comes in the processor package as a safe guard for the pins. i mashed it onto the bottom so that the pins stabbed into it and allowed no movement.

well i just did mine... just put ceramique on it and got my TDX on it... and its up and runnig... cant find my camera.. so tomorrow ill post pics

but my coretemps are sucky..

core1 62*C
core2 50*C

MBM, ITE 43*C

loaded Large FTTs orthos double prime...

it is

core1 42
core2 40 idle

this is all at 2.5 ghz and 1.45v

I HATE coretemp!!! expecially if it is right... my motherboard temp sensors for the CPU say 43*C which is really nice

but i think coretemp is right because it fails at 2.55 and it hit 65*C one core1

the diff between the 2 cores is like 10*C

cant figure it out???????????????

Great news. 146 is still alive and kicking. Mounted the apogee wrong again but it worked. Until i loaded the core and it auto shut down due to high temps. After ANOTHER remount iv got it running at 1.6v 2.8Ghz. gonna tery for 2.9 on 1.65 tonight.

i did that on my X2 and it wont start, i also put apoxy arround and started. later on that week my computer wont boot so i remove the cooler toke the glue off and it looked fine so i put it back on and no start :( ah well amd is a piece of junk...

LOCO LAPTOP said:
i did that on my X2 and it wont start, i also put apoxy arround and started. later on that week my computer wont boot so i remove the cooler toke the glue off and it looked fine so i put it back on and no start :( ah well amd is a piece of junk...

Wait, are you saying the COMPANY is junk because of your mistake, or that that particular cpu is? Either way i think taking off the PROTECTIVE cover and cracking the core would be your fault, not pointing to amd being "junk"

Aeauvian12 said:
Wait, are you saying the COMPANY is junk because of your mistake, or that that particular cpu is? Either way i think taking off the PROTECTIVE cover and cracking the core would be your fault, not pointing to amd being "junk"
QFT

LOCO LAPTOP said:

Considering you can't even spell the word "epoxy" correctly, I won't really concern myself with your thoughts about AMD.

Geez.... :rolleyes:

Josh_B said:
Considering you can't even spell the word "epoxy" correctly, I won't really concern myself with your thoughts about AMD.

Geez.... :rolleyes:

Well said.

Back