China Using AI and Facial Recognition Technology to Identify and Fine Jaywalkers

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Police in China are using software from Intellifusion to identify and publish the pictures of jaywalkers in Shenzhen. As soon as they negotiate contracts with the local cell providers they will be able to send a text message to the offender and their fine almost as soon as they jaywalk. They can only identify about 10 percent of the offenders at this time, but once big brother combines all of the government databases they expect this number to rise significantly.

For the current system installed in Shenzhen, Intellifusion installed cameras with 7 million pixels of resolution to capture photos of pedestrians crossing the road against traffic lights. Facial recognition technology identifies the individual from a database and displays a photo of the jaywalking offence, the family name of the offender and part of their government identification number on large LED screens above the pavement.

Big Brother is watching you!
Coming soon to your location.

Too late, already here.

Hopefully they just only go after the ones that impede traffic and not the people who cross the road when there's no vehicles around.
The county in my state allows j-walking as long as you don't impede any traffic.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhoMe
like this
Considering the over population problem in China you'd thing they would reward jaywalking not try to prevent it (sorry, it's early).

Police in China are using software from Intellifusion to identify and publish the pictures of jaywalkers in Shenzhen. As soon as they negotiate contracts with the local cell providers they will be able to send a text message to the offender and their fine almost as soon as they jaywalk. They can only identify about 10 percent of the offenders at this time, but once big brother combines all of the government databases they expect this number to rise significantly.

For the current system installed in Shenzhen, Intellifusion installed cameras with 7 million pixels of resolution to capture photos of pedestrians crossing the road against traffic lights. Facial recognition technology identifies the individual from a database and displays a photo of the jaywalking offence, the family name of the offender and part of their government identification number on large LED screens above the pavement.

Wasnt this a thread like a month ago?

the whole shaming aspect is interesting. I can see it working there as its part of their culture.

here.. it would be a means to show how "awesome" you are. There would be twitter threads devoted to people taking selfies of themselves violating jay walking rules and seeing their pics on the big screens. Then, of course, competitions to see who could get posted on the most number of screens

So this is China's new income stream, losing a bit of the global manufacturing pie, end up having an emergence of middle class, now lets take their money anyway we can!

Everyone seems to jaywalk over there, right in front of police. Didnt seem like anyone cared.

We need these in today's society,

tumblr_mucjhabF5T1syf27fo1_400.gif

This could be of use in areas where they are trying to clear the roads for self driving cars.

Back to Chinas actual usage scenario, if they had a state issued id with an rf chip inside, they could combine the video algorithm from this technology with a list of locally scanned id photos and get an incredibly high accuracy level for matching up images. That is, if you really think that punishing criminals pushing the limit by walking J is tantamount to national security.

Ought to be hilarious when this software get's devloped and used on varoius webcam streaming, stroking sites. Just saying.

Lol, 'jaywalking'. :rolleyes:

Fuck me I'm so glad I don't live in a country that's so fucking dumb that criminalises walking across a fucking road. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Dumb as all fuck. Oh, wait, sorry I guess that's the US too right? Lol, who is actually offended by someone crossing a road?! That you interpret that as a criminal offence that needs to be punished?!

"Oh my god, stop that guy! He's crossing a road causing so much harm and damage to people all around!!!!111111111211112122325"

I'm just impressed the software can tell Chinese apart from each other.

After almost three years living in Korea I started realizing that I was looking at Koreans and thinking how some of them looked like people I knew from back home.

I suppose, after awhile, you stop seeing what's different and start seeing what's similar.

Or maybe you just go fucking crazy after awhile ..... whatever.

Anyone else misread this title as... China AI identifying fine jaywalkers ?

Back