China Link Suspected in Lab Hacking

HardOCP News

[H] News
Authorities believe that cyber attacks reported at Oak Ridge National Laboratory last week may have originated in China. Does anyone else wonder just what the “legitimate looking” phishing e-mail from China said that was so convincing that it fooled lab employees?

“At this point, we have determined that the thieves made approximately 1,100 attempts to steal data with a very sophisticated strategy that involved sending staff a total of seven ‘phishing’ e-mails, all of which at first glance appeared legitimate,” he wrote in an e-mail message sent to employees on Monday. “At present we believe that about 11 staff opened the attachments, which enabled the hackers to infiltrate the system and remove data.”

That's a lot of stolen World of Warcraft accounts.

I know a -lot- of IT people who do not check where their e-mails are coming from before they open them. They'll click on links without checking them, and they'll use IE to do it.

I can imagine that any fairly well written e-mail mentioning Wii's in stock will get plenty of bites this holiday season.

In the WoW forums, its not uncommon to see a legitimate post copied by a hacked account, the links inside of it cut, with .cn url's replaced in there.

It just proves that seemingly and supposedly intelligent people are also extremely stupid. What part of NEVER OPEN ATTACHMENTS do they not understand? Must of been that promise of Nude Brittany Spears pics or something. Although that would have made me gag.

Musta been enlargement pills. Excess nutrients to the brain to supply increased mental function diverts nutrients from other regions of the body.

Well, if they want the nukes launched, I'd be happy to comply.... now where's that military/industrial target list for China?

Red Storm Incinerated :eek::rolleyes::p

Back