China Internet Services Slowed by Cable Damage

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
Internet service in China has been disrupted by undersea cable damage caused by a combination of earthquake and typhoon. The providers affected are China Unicom and China Telecom. I hope the affected ISPs and telcos had that “acts of God” clause in their SLA/SLO agreements.

Among the cut-off services was Windows Live Messenger, a popular chat client in Chinese offices and Internet cafés. The program could be accessed from Beijing on Wednesday, and China Unicom and China Telecom said they had restored part of their international service. But many U.S. Web sites remained inaccessible from Beijing, and representatives at the carriers declined to say when service would fully recover.

O crap, I can't update my ____________(facebook, myspace,). How will the world do without my update!!!!!

China, fearing an invasion of pictures of scantily clad woman and free speech, took the drastic step today of severing is own internet connection with the rest of the word and blaming it on the weather.

weren't the typhoons and earthquakes far in between time and regionally specific?

I'm not suprised, with all the guff from china about microsoft.. Maybe now they will realize said popular internet comes from our side of the world :D

They said the carrier is aiming to restore the service in about a week. That's quite slow, counting that usually the priorities in cases like this are much higher even if it's not a major fault. Though they can probably also reroute traffic from elsewhere.

They said the carrier is aiming to restore the service in about a week. That's quite slow, counting that usually the priorities in cases like this are much higher even if it's not a major fault. Though they can probably also reroute traffic from elsewhere.

This could also be a great way to implement that new monitoring system or their great firewall with no one noticing.

That being said, I hope it gets fixed. Backups in one area of the network back-plane might certainly affect the entire world.
It's affecting me HUGE actually. I used to get 60Mb/20Mb (7.5MB/2.5MB) right before the typhoon hit. Then after that, it's down to 4Mb/1.5Mb.

Back