ChildProof Quality Fan Controller?

kiger

Weaksauce
In my case I have 6 fans. Two on my CPU, one exhaust, and three intake. Technically, the only one I need to control is a San Ace on the CPU. Presently it is running at 5v and I want to bump it up more, but 12v is too loud. Also, it draws .38 amps.

I figured I can either buy a rheostat for the fan itself or buy a fan controller. I like the option of the control panel because it looks nice and will not require drilling a hole in my case to hold the rheostat or what not. However, if I am going to buy a fan controller then I would like to just hook up all my fans to it which would either require controller with 6 ports or a controller with 3-4 ports that could handle a high draw on each channel.

I have been looking at the Lamptron controllers because they go all the way up to 30W, which is clearly beyond what I need, but for $30 for 30W you really can't go wrong.

Here is the problem I am running into though... I have a 3yr old kid and probably another on the way and it would be a shame if they came in my office and fiddled with the "pretty" knobs and essentially turned off my CPU fans... so aside from always remembering to lock my door, is there a fan controller that can handle at least 10w per channel that has some kind of kid-proof interface? I like the ZALMAN MFC3 because it has a childproof interface which requires holding down the button for 3 seconds in order to change the fan speed. Only reason I am not buying it is because of the 0.7A per channel rating and the fact that users of the MFC2 model complained of the display crapping out after a few months.

So what do you guys think? Any ideas on a childproof fan controller with 10W per channel?

Hmmm I dont' know of anyone that makes those childprool, but you could

put your cae up higher
get a case with a lockable drive bay door
or ....this is my favorite option... build it yourself. I'm sure theres info out there to build a basic fan controller, you just might have to MacGyver it and make some modifications to fit your needs.

Maybe you could do something similar to the stealth DVD drive mod. It sounds like you're going to put it in, set it, and leave it so you could just set the controller further back in the bay and put the cover back over it. If you really get creative, you could hinge it and put a little lock on. Looks clean, works, and keeps those little fingers away from important knobs. :)

Maybe you could do something similar to the stealth DVD drive mod. It sounds like you're going to put it in, set it, and leave it so you could just set the controller further back in the bay and put the cover back over it. If you really get creative, you could hinge it and put a little lock on. Looks clean, works, and keeps those little fingers away from important knobs. :)

WOW! Now that is a tight idea! Thanks.

Another idea is to use velcro. Put some self-adhesive tabs on the knobs, then put a strip across them. Small children probably won't think to pull the velcro to fiddle with the knobs.

BigNG is an all internal fan controller that runs via a windows interface. Shoot a MiniNG might even work for you with only a couple fans. And once you program it, it can run without any software.

Put an open case fan in front of the controls. Pain is a good teacher :p

pwm controlled fan? use some software or the bios to control the speed?

Another idea is to use velcro. Put some self-adhesive tabs on the knobs, then put a strip across them. Small children probably won't think to pull the velcro to fiddle with the knobs.

My kids have xray vision when it comes to knobs and things like that. They can see them through a brick wall. :p I like the stealth idea better.

~~~Proud parent of a 5 year old and a 1 1/2 year old.

BigNG is an all internal fan controller that runs via a windows interface. Shoot a MiniNG might even work for you with only a couple fans. And once you program it, it can run without any software.

The MiniNG looks really incredible. I really like the fact that it can be set and then run without the software. A few questions though:

1. Is the yellow wire on a fan the RPM sensor? It says the MiniNG only works with 3-wire fans having a RPM sensor.

2. Does this controller have a direct setting for the fan voltage or is it all done through adjusting the RPM? I am reading the manual and it says I can set it to a manual configuration and adjust the fan speed by turning the potentiometer. However... it then goes on to say in the manual setting section that if a temperature of 70c is exceeded then the fans will spin at full speed. This is not what I want. I want to find the most tolerable level for my fan and then just leave it on that 24/7. This way I optimize my overclock while not having the fan spin up at 60db.

Last edited:
Put an open case fan in front of the controls. Pain is a good teacher :p

I would have said the same thing until I had my girl and I gotta tell you... her smile just breaks my heart. I could never do that to her. :cool:

19779318109561498733766.jpg

Back