Chenming SFF

I don't have any experience with the Chenming SFF's, but is that really the one you've decided on? DO they offer it in any other styles? Cause seriously that thing looks like it belongs in a trailer park. :D Have you considered the shuttle at all?

Mach5

Well, these are for a small office, and I'm not sure style is worth an extra $280. ($70 x 4) I just want something that will be reliable and runs a 64 bit AMD processor.

Still, that is one UGLY case.

and if it is for a business, why got a 9600 get somethign like a 9250 or lower.

Greg

Man, it looks like they tried to copy Shuttles design and use a larger power supply ala the Antec Aria . And, whats with the ribbed outside case? Oh I get it, ribbed for her pleasure. :)

-E

Why do small office workstations need 9600 pros? lol. WIll these cases be seen by the public, ie. customers, etc.? I would say not just from an asthetic viewpoint, but from an upgrade standpoint your money is better spent on the shuttle. More market saturation and options, etc. Skip the 9600 pros and sink the extra cash into the shuttles.
Just my 3 cents.

Mach5

Well, I'd like them to last until Longhorn. Longhorn will require direct-x 9 graphics right?

Besides, going from a 9600 pro to a 9200 is not going to save me the money to get the shuttle. And if we decide to run some games on them, I'd rather play on a 9600 pro with a ugly case than a pretty shuttle with a 9200.

I was really hoping someone could point me toward a review of some shuttle alternatives, not tell me to suck it up and buy a shuttle because it looks better. :p

Anybody?

All I can say is I wish I worked in your office if your thinking about the games, and Im sure you're right about the dx9+longhorn-good call. Well this whole forum is based on performance and appearance so you know your gonna get everybodies 2 cents in here. But to each his own, and your points make more sense than asthetics for your needs. I searche4d but newegg seems to be the only store carrying it and there aren't even any customer reviews. Let alone site reviews, I guess it's just too new. But you probably already knew that ;)
Well good luck man whatever you decide.

Mach5

Thanks.

I just maintain my mom and dad's business machines on the side. My payment for free 24-7 tech support and building all their rigs is just a tiny bit of gaming. :cool:

Wow.. Paint that thing black and set it next to your PS2 and I think you will have a great match.

MrE said:
Man, it looks like they tried to copy Shuttles design and use a larger power supply ala the Antec Aria.
Considering that Chenming (aka Chieftec) has been a major supplier of Antec cases in the past (including the world-famous SX series), I'd guess that Antec is the one doing the copying. Furthermore, as Shuttle contracts its chassis from original design manufacturers like Chenming, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that Chenming also builds Shuttle cases.
Gshady said:
Wow.. Paint that thing black and set it next to your PS2 and I think you will have a great match.
My thoughts exactly...

Well, I couldn't get any feedback on it or find any reviews, so i chickened out and bought the IDEQ 200P. (four of them actually.) Hopefully they'll work out well for me.

I've run a test of longhorn on a PC with a GeForce2 MX... it ran fine, so unless they change some major stuff by the release, I dont think you'll have to have a DX9 compliant card to utilize longhorn.

I don't have the vid card showing in the Device Manager, but here's a preview of it with a P4 2.52GHz with 256MB ram... (Longhorn needs a lot of ram... wasn't very happy running 256MB, I'd run a bare minimum of 512MB with it!)

http://www.nemontel.net/~zax/images/longhorn2.jpg

l337zax said:
I've run a test of longhorn on a PC with a GeForce2 MX... it ran fine, so unless they change some major stuff by the release, I dont think you'll have to have a DX9 compliant card to utilize longhorn.

I don't have the vid card showing in the Device Manager, but here's a preview of it with a P4 2.52GHz with 256MB ram... (Longhorn needs a lot of ram... wasn't very happy running 256MB, I'd run a bare minimum of 512MB with it!)

http://www.nemontel.net/~zax/images/longhorn2.jpg

MS has said to use its "avalon" UI you will need a DX9 capable card. But i would assume that there will be a classic UI built in if not for lower end machines, for corporate use.

Back