• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

cheepest AP ever?

Sleepy_We

n00b
Joined
Nov 20, 2006
Messages
17
I finally have to break down and accept that my network needs wireless capability. I run win2k3 for routing (rras/dns/dhcp), and am no fan of buying a wireless router just to get an access point for 1 or 2 devices.

my question is whats the cheepest possible solution?

I want to keep my existing network and just add an AP. The ideal solution would to be just add a cheep wireless NIC to my server. has anyone done this, and have had it accept normal connections? (not ad-hoc). Or any other ideas on a very cheep access point? (the goal is "cheep" and not "easy")

I define cheep as 10 bucks, give or take.
 
Sleepy_We said:
I finally have to break down and accept that my network needs wireless capability. I run win2k3 for routing (rras/dns/dhcp), and am no fan of buying a wireless router just to get an access point for 1 or 2 devices.

my question is whats the cheepest possible solution?

I want to keep my existing network and just add an AP. The ideal solution would to be just add a cheep wireless NIC to my server. has anyone done this, and have had it accept normal connections? (not ad-hoc). Or any other ideas on a very cheep access point? (the goal is "cheep" and not "easy")

I define cheep as 10 bucks, give or take.

try the FS/FT sub forum
 
fs/tf? looks for advice. not looking to buy something outright :p
Newegg will be solving my problem what ever my solution may end up being.
 
I wouldn't recommend buying some off brand cheap POS, you get what you pay for and this sounds like you're looking to buy a headache instead of an AP.

Look to newegg for a Linksys Wireless AP, can't really go wrong there, just don't get a router.
 
AP's just aren't as commonly wanted as routers, so counter-intuitively, the home wireless routers are likely to be the cheapest.

Probably the cheapest such device I'd buy would be (1) a Buffalo wireless router at around $40. I'd run DD-WRT on it and of course put it AP mode.

Some wireless NICs come with software AP functionality. I'd personally stay away from them because of the not-so-lovely drivers and software that comes on many of these devices, and for greater flexibility in positioning the device. But someone might have found one that's actually good and stable 24/7, etc...

Oh, here's another option: DD-WRT's coming out for x86 with support for one brand of wireless chipsets. So.. get a good compatible wireless NIC, run a virtual x86, and install DD-WRT there.. This one sounds like it could be "fun", but I'd probably still do (1) for less headaches.
 
gigabyte1024 said:
I wouldn't recommend buying some off brand cheap POS, you get what you pay for and this sounds like you're looking to buy a headache instead of an AP.

Look to newegg for a Linksys Wireless AP, can't really go wrong there, just don't get a router.

That makes no sense.... buy a router and turn off DHCP, and VOILA, it's an AP.
 
QwertyJuan said:
That makes no sense.... buy a router and turn off DHCP, and VOILA, it's an AP.
Just what I was thinking. Anything that can run dd-wrt is going to serve you well, and I think the buffalos are the cheapest, unless you snag an old WRT54G for cheap.
 
QwertyJuan said:
That makes no sense.... buy a router and turn off DHCP, and VOILA, it's an AP.

Yeah I did that for a while, I had a Motorola WRG850 that I used as an access point. All i did was plug the cable that goes to my LAN into the LAN port instead of the WAN port. that way it's just a wireless bridge. Still was able to access the config page without having a WAN IP. It croaked on me, so I replaced it with Cisco Aironet 1130AG. Oh well :)
 
yea its a shame wireless routers have goten cheeper then just the access point. I was looking to build my own AP tho, regardless of headache. Thanks for the ideas, I think I will wait for a real version of the x86 DD-WRT to come out and try that. (assuming the WNICs it supports cost less then the router or AP it self)

I was not worried about the signal to much due to the fact the devices I would be connecting to it would be a wopping 5 - 10 feet away with no walls. So a cheep nic woulda worked fine most likely. Worst case scenario I get a cheep WRT54G off ebay and kill its router, or find a cheep WAP54G. Don't really need DD-WRT for either.
 
I love it when people ask for advice and then ignore it...

x86 DD-WRT is awesome, but it sounds like complete overkill for your purposes. A good wireless NIC costs about the same as the Buffalo WHR G54S. DD-WRT on the WHR G54S gives you a little more tweakability than you'll get with x86 DD-WRT and a $20 wifi card.

The reason routers are cheaper than AP's is completely due to sales and marketing. Routers fly off the shelf at Walmart, AP's wind up being used more by IT than by your average Joe.

As far as cheap NIC's go, Trendnet wireless PCI and PCMCIA cards have been recommended by the guys at DD-WRT, regardless of price.
 
Blitzrommel said:
You're aware that's not 802.11b/a/g or anything, right? That's a totally different type of wireless networking. He'd have to get a compatible adapter as well.

I just googled someting real fast, just saw 99cents and access point and boom :)
 
Back
Top