checking the hardware event log

valcone424

n00b
Hey guys n gals!

Have a quick question. Unfortunately, yesterday some a$$ decided they were going to steal the RAM from my work laptop. I'm just wondering if there is anyway to detect about what time they did this? I right clicked on "My Computer" and went to "Manage" and tried browsing through the event logs, but I have no clue what I'm doing once I'm in there! I found a "Hardware Events" log under the "Apps. and Services Logs," but that log is empty. (Not sure if they knew what they were doing and somehow cleared it after taking it, but that would've required them to log on after taking it to my knowledge.)

Any help is greatly appreciated! It won't really do much, other than give me a time of when these guys stole it, but I'd like to let my boss know and let them decide on how/if they want to pursue anything.

Thanks!

disregard that comment.... that was a dumb question how about this one if you go to event viewer go to system ... looking at a server right now not a desktop but i am hoping these are the correct directions. it should tell you when the last shutdown was if it was an unexpected shutdown or a normal shutdown.

Last edited:
Well, it happened yesterday during lunch I'm guessing, and I have shut the computer down a couple times throughout the day and our tech. guy had it on and off to add in some more temporary ram this morning.

Sorry I am out of ideas then as to how to check when the hardware was taken out. The only thing I could think of is they had to shut it down they more then likely wouldn't go to start shutdown they would just hold in the power button from being in a hurry. That was my best guess.

Yea, I was logged in, so I'm pretty sure they did a hard shutdown like you said from holding the button down.

But thanks for trying! Anyone else have some ideas?

Unless you have some type of hardware inventory running all the time that you could look at to see when the value changed. probably no way to tell when it was stolen. that sucks that somebody did that.

Back