Checking IP address

Teen-Pound

Weaksauce
Is there a way to check to see which IP address are in use on Windows Server 2003? Im going to be setting static IP addresses on all workstations and want to see which ones are already in use by printers, phone and watever

Thanks

There's a nice free utility on the net called Angry IP scanner. It'll do a quick scan and report what's in use.

Don't set static IP's one individual workstations unless you have a really really REALLY good reason, and want to cause yourself headaches down the road. That's why DHCP exists.

If you need to assign static IP's to individual workstations, then do it through DHCP reservations. That way you can manage the IP's through a single computer and not have to touch any workstation. If you're worried about your DHCP server going offline, then set your lease time to something like 30 days. SO MUCH easier than trying to track IPs manually.

If you want to back up your DHCP reservation list, Google for information on the 'netsh' command under Windows 2003...

There's a nice free utility on the net called Angry IP scanner. It'll do a quick scan and report what's in use.

While this is true....

If someone has a printer assigned with a static IP and it's turned off, you won't see that. Pardon me though for being Captain Obvious.:D

You can also go into the DHCP utility for Server 2k3 to see what's in the scope of being handed out.

Static IPs are good if you need to absolutely know who is eating your bandwidth up or things like that- and computer names aren't simple (IE, more or less a serial number).

Otherwise DHCP can tell you what IP is mapped to what name.

DHCP also makes it easy to change your entire addressing scheme if you ever so choose.

Most implementations of DHCP servers also support a form of static addressing, by specifying what IP address goes with the MAC address of the device requesting it, and even provide specifc additional information such as host name, domain, etc, for each device.

Don't set static IP's one individual workstations unless you have a really really REALLY good reason, and want to cause yourself headaches down the road. That's why DHCP exists.

If you need to assign static IP's to individual workstations, then do it through DHCP reservations. That way you can manage the IP's through a single computer and not have to touch any workstation. If you're worried about your DHCP server going offline, then set your lease time to something like 30 days. SO MUCH easier than trying to track IPs manually.

Yup! Networked printers..all that stuff, tis best IMO to do it through reservations.

I agree, but if you have LaserJets, not all of them wannt to play nice with DHCP.

Never had a problem with them...can't imagine how many over how many networks...going back to the NT4 days...HP JetDirect = zero issues..in my experience. Also I go in and disable IPX and CrAppleTalk..often on by default, add tons of crap traffic to network un-necessarily.

Never had a problem with them...can't imagine how many over how many networks...going back to the NT4 days...HP JetDirect = zero issues..in my experience. Also I go in and disable IPX and CrAppleTalk..often on by default, add tons of crap traffic to network un-necessarily.

We have over 700 network printers at this moment, and have had over 1000 in the past. Mostly HP and there and been a few issues with some of the OLDER HP Jetdirect cards, but not the newer ones. and if there is an issue a flash seems to take care of the it.

The only JetDirects I've ever had 'problems' with on DHCP were some of the ancient ones that only supported BootP... Once you understand the fundamental difference between DHCP and BootP, then they're not really a problem any more....Actually still have two of those in operation... :)

The only things that truly need static IP's are servers...and really not even all of them, but at least the DHCP server needs a static IP. And of course servers / routers / other devices connected to the Internet where DHCP really isn't an option, and certain infrastructure devices that need to be addressable in the absence of DHCP, etc.... Otherwise it's DHCP for everyone, and reservations where needed! Wheeeeee.........

One thing you do need to keep in mind though is on a Windows print server you need to turn off (Or set the timeout realy low) on DNS caching! If you don't and the printer get's a diffrent address your going to have to wait for the entry to time out (24 hours). This go's for static entrys when you change it's IP address as well..

We have ours run a cron job every hour to do a "IPconfig /flushdns", but heres the info on the registry entry.

Back