Check out this soon to be released Hiper 730W Quad Ready PSU

nice, im guessing the new dual chip/quad sli cards are going to have the option for an external power supply though. similar to Asus' card.

If that's another Andyson, I'll be SERIOUSLY surprised.

I like how they put the modular interface on the bottom because there's a fan on the front and back of the housing.

Hmm... Those grills on the back look familiar. I think I know that power supply....

Spectre said:
Stay on track a little here folks ok?

I know this isn't neccessarily going to manage to not get deleted, but that PSU just looks funny.

I can't help but think about a milking machine (for cows), when I look at the modular bits on that PSU. I dunno, it definitely bothers the eye.

Though, I suppose going with less restricted flow (fan in front and back, no obstruction on either side) might be nice. I'd just expect it to start Mooooooing.

I'm afraid it might not work for a lot of people. Those cables are hanging down into the CPU area in your typical build. So not only do you have a bottom fan to "help" with airflow, but you have modular cables OBSTRUCTING airflow. I thought one of the reasons people went modular was to HELP airflow. :eek:

Specially designed for BTX chassis

Yep. I guess so! :D

Looks like fun. Also, it would work well ihn a case like the Lian Li Pseudo-btx cases.

Sounds like fun.

weak. my post saying two rails specifically for the vid cards is a good idea imo got deleted.
so here it is again
i think it's relevant to the topic.

If you have an issue with the deletion feel free to contact me by PM as I have the original post still....otherwise stay on topic.

I wonder if these are the specs for that PSU....

Load Max:

+3.3V 24 Amps
+5V 24 Amps
+12V1 18 Amps
+12V2 18 Amps
+12V3 18 Amps
+12V4 22 Amps
-12V 0.5 Amps
+5VSB 3.5 Amps

1.Maximum continuous total DC output power should not exceed 800W
2.Maximum continuous combined load on +3.3 VDC and +5 VDC outputs shall not exceed 140W
3.Maximum peak total DC output power should not exceed 880 W
4.Peak power and current loading shall be supported for a minimum of 12 second.
5.Maximum combined current for the 12V outputs shall be 64A.
6.Peak current for the combined 12V outputs shall be 70A.
7.Peak power on the +12V4 rail shall be sustained for a minimum of 500msec.

I doubt that it will be enough to power a quad SLI system efficiently. I also don't see why they decided to go BTX. I don't recall any BTX SLI motherboards.

Oops... My specs are for an 800W Andyson. This is obviously "just" a 730W, but it's definitely an Andyson. Apparently they've got some new engineers and the quality of their high end units (like this one) rivals Seventeam, Silverstone and Enhance.

PCMusicGuy said:
I doubt that it will be enough to power a quad SLI system efficiently.

How did you come to that conclusion without even knowing the specs? If there are four 12V rails, and the two PCI-e's are on separate rails, and the total 12V combined is somewhere in the neighborhood of 64A I'm sure, how would it not be enough?

PCMusicGuy said:
I also don't see why they decided to go BTX. I don't recall any BTX SLI motherboards.

They decided to go BTX because there's no way the PSU would ever work in an ATX case unless it was an "upside down" style. The cables hang right over the CPU. They had to put the cables there because the fans need to be front to back to properly cool that much wattage.

jonnyGURU said:
How did you come to that conclusion without even knowing the specs? If there are four 12V rails, and the two PCI-e's are on separate rails, and the total 12V combined is somewhere in the neighborhood of 64A I'm sure, how would it not be enough?

They decided to go BTX because there's no way the PSU would ever work in an ATX case unless it was an "upside down" style. The cables hang right over the CPU. They had to put the cables there because the fans need to be front to back to properly cool that much wattage.

If the 7800 GTX 512 can already draw between 10 to 15 amps by itself I would suspect that a dual card like what is used for quad SLI will draw more than that, at the worse case, double that. Let's face it, graphics cards aren't really drawing less power these days.

It's not a bad thing that they used BTX for the form factor. It's just that SLI users are using ATX. Seems like they are disregarding a lot of the existing market.

How many amps are supplied to the typical bedroom 120V AC outlet for an early 1950s home? :(

EDIT: I think 15 amps is standard for an outlet. Hmm...how does that work with these uber PSUs and quad SLI?

Lol, I highly highly doubt that by having a 7800 GTX that it pulls 10-15 amps alone out of an outlet.

PCMusicGuy said:
If the 7800 GTX 512 can already draw between 10 to 15 amps by itself I would suspect that a dual card like what is used for quad SLI will draw more than that, at the worse case, double that. Let's face it, graphics cards aren't really drawing less power these days.

The highest number I've seen is 11A and that's for an overclocked card at full load. A dual GPU card isn't going to be that X 2. Just like SLI isn't the sum of the typical amperage of one card.

For Quad SLI certification, I believe nVidia is looking for 150W (12.5A) per PCI-e connector.

So will a high-end SLI/quadSLI machine require more than 15 amps from the wall? Will we need to start installing dedicated 20amp circuits in our computer rooms??? LOL o.0

mike_j_johnson said:
So will a high-end SLI/quadSLI machine require more than 15 amps from the wall? Will we need to start installing dedicated 20amp circuits in our computer rooms??? LOL o.0

... what do you mean, START?
Besides, 20A, feh. 30A IEC Locking, thanks.

mike_j_johnson said:

15A X 115V = 1725W.

Even at only 70% efficiency, that's a 1200W PSU!!! Come on! :D

Let's say it's an old 10A outlet.

10A X 115V = 1150W.

At 70% efficiency that's 805W!!!!

11A is the highest number I've seen as well but I do not think that is the highest it will draw. Nvidia and ATI have not released worse case senario numbers, fluctuations included, on their cards for a reason. And while it's true that there's no way power consumption will be doubled in a dual card (even on the 130 nanometer process) I like to consider the absolute worst case senario in my PCs and 730W is not enough comfort for me. I hope this PSU does well actually and I for sure will be watching the review sites for it.

Back