Check out this Qpack clone case from Chenming

Nivram

Gawd
Big time clone!! Chenming MATX-118

About $10 cheaper than the Aspire X-Qpack case that was discussed here before, but with one big difference. Power supply included with it is a 300w, versus the 420w p/s that's in the Aspire case. Other than that, they're virtually identical, from the quick look I took of it.

If anyone's looking to save a couple bucks, and doesn't mind the smaller p/s, it might be worth a look. I'd rather have the larger p/s myself, and since they both use those tiny power supplies, that might be hard to replace (micro-atx p/s is usually pretty small, both in size and in power).

Thought someone might find it of interest. :D

The Chenming one looks way better than the Aspire version. Does anyone know how the airflow is in one of these cases. Might get one later in the year for my MATX computer, to replace the CHENMING CMUI-601AES-AW Silver Aluminum Server Computer Case I have now. Its just takes up to much room, and I just want something smaller, with good airflow.

and its cheaper as well
only 73 bucks
nice cases, regardless of who makes it

Another difference is this case comes with only 1 clear side panel. The Qpack has 3 to see inside from multiple directions which is kind of nice.

Looks like something that toast comes out of :)

I've always wanted to do a case like that. Most folks who buy those usually water cool them?

I just bought one of these over the weekend. My first mATX desktop build. No manual came with the box and Chenming's website didn't have anything either. I looked up the insturctions on the Aspire website and that was good enough.

Airflow has been surprisingly good, with a consistent 26-30 cpu temp (thermal sensor and mobo hardware monitor).

I am running:
Asus 754 mobo
Sempron 3100+
Thermaltake SilentBoost
512k DDR400 Corsair VS RAM
Liteon CD/DVD combo
Mitsumi 7-1 floppy
Fortron 300w PSU (120mm fan)
Maxtor 80gb 7200 HDD

I pulled the stock power supply. Never even tried it. It was shorter than a standard PSU. Pulled out the stock 120mm case fan (loud) and put in a Coolermaster 19db fan (low cfm but I am not running anything hot here). The removable mobo tray is nice, but as the Silentboost heatsink is a bit taller than a stock K8, I had to mount it after I reinstalled the mobo tray because it is too tall to slide in from the rear.

The HDD rack holds two drives, but I found the noise loud with it mounted so close to the case wall (plus that is the best place to store the extra cabling), so I put the drive in an extra HDD silencer box that I had and it sits in the second 5.25 in bay.

With the full size PSU, HDD case and DVD/CD combo drive, everything is a very tight fit.

The walls are thin, but with the heatsink fan is turned down to 1800 rpm, this is actually a very quiet system ( I am a noise-phobe). All I hear is a slight electronic hum from the PSU. With the temps listed above, I'd say airflow has been pretty good. If I put in a 6800gt or Ultra, I'd guess this would get substancially hotter and annoyingly louder. I would not recommend this for a hardcore gaming or overclocked system.

I don't trust the carrying handle even though it is supposed to be good for up to 40lbs.
I bought this from Page Computers for $68 plus shipping. Much cheaper but don't use these guys if you are in a hurry or need an exact delivery date.

c1001 said:
I just bought one of these over the weekend. My first mATX desktop build. No manual came with the box and Chenming's website didn't have anything either. I looked up the insturctions on the Aspire website and that was good enough.

Airflow has been surprisingly good, with a consistent 26-30 cpu temp (thermal sensor and mobo hardware monitor).

I am running:
Asus 754 mobo
Sempron 3100+
Thermaltake SilentBoost
512k DDR400 Corsair VS RAM
Liteon CD/DVD combo
Mitsumi 7-1 floppy
Fortron 300w PSU (120mm fan)
Maxtor 80gb 7200 HDD

I pulled the stock power supply. Never even tried it. It was shorter than a standard PSU. Pulled out the stock 120mm case fan (loud) and put in a Coolermaster 19db fan (low cfm but I am not running anything hot here). The removable mobo tray is nice, but as the Silentboost heatsink is a bit taller than a stock K8, I had to mount it after I reinstalled the mobo tray because it is too tall to slide in from the rear.

The HDD rack holds two drives, but I found the noise loud with it mounted so close to the case wall (plus that is the best place to store the extra cabling), so I put the drive in an extra HDD silencer box that I had and it sits in the second 5.25 in bay.

With the full size PSU, HDD case and DVD/CD combo drive, everything is a very tight fit.

The walls are thin, but with the heatsink fan is turned down to 1800 rpm, this is actually a very quiet system ( I am a noise-phobe). All I hear is a slight electronic hum from the PSU. With the temps listed above, I'd say airflow has been pretty good. If I put in a 6800gt or Ultra, I'd guess this would get substancially hotter and annoyingly louder. I would not recommend this for a hardcore gaming or overclocked system.

I don't trust the carrying handle even though it is supposed to be good for up to 40lbs.
I bought this from Page Computers for $68 plus shipping. Much cheaper but don't use these guys if you are in a hurry or need an exact delivery date.

Yeah, thats what getting me is the heat. If I was ever going to get his case in the future, I will be running a Pentium 4 520, and soon to be a 6800GT or Ultra in it. With just those 2 things, im sure heat will be an issue with this case.

Okay, but aren't we all modders, that could cut a blow hole and install an extra fan or two, if needed?? ;)

Thanks, c1001, for the good impromptu review of the case. Can I ask you how much space you have between the back of the LiteOn drive, and the power supply?? I've got a Super Flower 350watt power supply with the one big honkin' 14cm fan on it, along with my choice of cdrw, dvdrom-cdrw or dvdrw drives to put in there (Lite-On's for the first and third), but would like to know how close things get there.

Oh yeah, and I originally linked the website not because they were the lowest price, but because they were the first one I found with a decent picture of the case. As far as the windows go, it might be nice having just the one factory window, since then you could have a custom window made, and cut it in yourself, for some fancy looks. Speaking of which, how is the factory installed window attached to the case? Looks like (in the picture) it's some sort of rivets or screws.

Now that you've told us you've got one of these, we're gonna pick your brain!! LOL :D

Nivram said:
Okay, but aren't we all modders, that could cut a blow hole and install an extra fan or two, if needed?? ;)

Thanks, c1001, for the good impromptu review of the case. Can I ask you how much space you have between the back of the LiteOn drive, and the power supply?? I've got a Super Flower 350watt power supply with the one big honkin' 14cm fan on it, along with my choice of cdrw, dvdrom-cdrw or dvdrw drives to put in there (Lite-On's for the first and third), but would like to know how close things get there.

Oh yeah, and I originally linked the website not because they were the lowest price, but because they were the first one I found with a decent picture of the case. As far as the windows go, it might be nice having just the one factory window, since then you could have a custom window made, and cut it in yourself, for some fancy looks. Speaking of which, how is the factory installed window attached to the case? Looks like (in the picture) it's some sort of rivets or screws.

Now that you've told us you've got one of these, we're gonna pick your brain!! LOL :D

There is two inches between the PSU and the LiteOn. A little over an inch if you count the hard plastic power connector for the LiteOn.

The window has plastic rivets and you have plenty of opportunities to scratch it when taking the cover on and off. I'd try to find a non-window version. To deal with heat you punch a blowhole or two on the sides near the CPU or video card. However if you wanted to add a fan to pump in cool air, you'd have to stick it on the outside due to the way that the cover slides over the chassis. Sorry my camera isn't available or I'd send you a pic. You could also add a 5.25 or 3.5 in blower from the front. Another option would be to mesh/cut out a piece of the window and add a Vantec fan card to blow onto the graphic card.

Hey, if anyone's interested, Newegg has the Aspire Qback on sale this weekend (thru 6/12) for $90, with $13 shipping, and a $13 instant rebate. Essentially their normal price, with free shipping. :D

The Qpac is almost exactly what I am looking for, small, 2x 5 1/4 drive bays. I am thinking with the 3 windows it may be a good case for a CD-Rom and Hard Drive window mod. But I plan on getting a Raptor or 2 and I really dont want to risk putting a window in it. Is there any Reviews of this case out there anywhere, I would really like to see some better pics of it with stuff installed. I already have a Coolermaster 120mm Fan I could put in it, it is pretty damn quite, but I think I might look for one with a little more airflow. This case really has me thinking!

Found this guy's post here, where he's taken some good pics of the rig he built with a qpack case. Seems willing to answer questions too, for those people interested in asking. :)

Do a search for qpack here, and you'll find 8 or 10 various threads, including this one. :cool:

Back