• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Check out my build; help needed

revv

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 27, 2014
Messages
101
I'm trying to build a new PC that I use for work and then gaming. I play Battefield and some other occasional game, but I want it to look good. Lately, with Battlefield 1 I'm noticing stutter in some smoke/fog situations. I've also had this computer for 3 years now and want to upgrade anyway.

Here's what I have on my build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wk8Fqk


My current computer is this one: https://imgur.com/h3AKLE3

I'm not set on any of these components, so I would like advice if anything is sub-optimal.

I really haven't seen a single case that I like, but I do know I'd like more space. My current CoolerMaster Elite 130 is barely enough to hold everything in and I'd like to add one more hard drive, so I need the space.

I haven't been into hardware for years, so I'm really out of touch with the new stuff out there which is why I'm asking for your help :)

Thanks!!!!

Oh, and I don't think I'll be doing 4K anytime soon.
 
First off, I need to apologize for not communicating with you these past couple of months.

Based on our earlier conversation, I recall that you wanted to keep things close to the budget from your original build -- around $2000, give or take -- and you planned on reusing your monitors. With that in mind, do you game on just one monitor or both simultaneously?

Looking at your PCPartPicker build, you're pursing an i5-7600K/Z270 combination. Do you plan on overclocking this time?

You also mentioned that you wanted to buy another hard drive. How close to full are your 500GB SSD and 2TB HDD?
 
Hey man! No worries!

I actually went with this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pT4DXH

I started getting the parts today.

Keeping the hard drives as they still have some room, but I'll expand later when I bring in all backups back into the computer given that I now have a bigger case.

I might read up on OCing. I haven't really looked into it in years.

What would you have done differently in this setup?
 
What I would have done differently would have depended on whether or not you planned on overclocking. (With what you've just bought, you better be pushing the chip past 4GHz!)

You bought a very good setup overall, but (for argument's sake) if you didn't want to overclock, I would have instead recommended the cheaper Core i5-7500 and paired it with an H270 motherboard. I believe that the i5-7500 has a stock speed of 3.5GHz, but the gaming performance boost you'd gain from the GTX 1070 would have more than made up for the processor's slower speed (compared to the i5-7600K and the i7-7700K). I'd also look for a cheaper set of DDR4 RAM, which is usually at a slower speed (DDR4 2400 versus DDR4 3000). My recommendations would have been toward saving money rather than improving your overclocking capabilities.

With your new case, you have plenty of room for that new hard drive. Personally, I prefer to consolidate drives now that 4TB and larger drives are now commonplace. (Do you have an external hard drive or network-attached storage/NAS?)
 
Thanks!

I will likely begin consolidating at some point. Either way, I need two bays per drive (RAID1). I'm a data hoarder. Have stuff dating years back. At least I have peace of mind know that I now have room for it. The Cooler Master Elite 130 has done an excellent job for the past 3 years, but it is time to move on :)
 
Please keep in mind that RAID, any RAID, is no backup solution. All it does (save for RAID 0) is guarantee system uptime.

If you're concerned about preserving data, in addition to buying larger capacity hard drives, you should have a robust back-up system. Ideally, you'd not only have a NAS but also an external drive (or optical media) that you can store off-site.
 
I've been considering NAS, but was wondering about security from the outside world. I have to read up on it. Tier 1 files are backed up in Google Drive anyway, but I have a lot of tier 2 and tier 3 data that are just local.
 
Back
Top