Cheapest way to overclock (conroe)

KevC

Supreme [H]ardness
So I've been out of the overclocking scene for a long time.

I'm thinking of a new system. I do photoshop so clockspeed is cruical. However, photographic equipment takes presidence over computer stuff ,so I need the cheapest way to get the fastest speed.

I realize conroe is amazing and you can overclock these things to 3GHz+.

However, motherboards seem expensive. RAM seems expensive (and I need a lot of RAM, at least 2GB).

I guess I can't just pick up a cheap 965P board and cheap RAM (lots of it) and a E6200 and hope it hits 3GHz? 4GHz?

I don't need fancy stuff, I don't need RAID. Thoughts? What's the cheapest way to get the best speed?

If you can wait for the E4300 chips, you'll be able to get it to pretty high speeds and you probably won't need anything better than DDR667. If you want to build it now, with an E6300 or E6400 you'll probably need DDR800 to get good results, which will cost a lot more than the lower-speed RAM.

With an e6300 you'll need water or really really good air to hit 3Ghz, 4Ghz your talking dry ice. Get the e6600 if you need the clock speed, it's only 100ish dollars more but you can hit 3Ghz on stock cooling.

Maybe I'll wait. I wonder if photoshop benefits from memory bandwidth anyway. Cheap is first and foremost, I'd love to use cheap and lots of RAM.

Hm.. should I bother adding another gig to my current DDR-I setup? Or just save up...

Toobernoober said:
With an e6300 you'll need water or really really good air to hit 3Ghz, 4Ghz your talking dry ice. Get the e6600 if you need the clock speed, it's only 100ish dollars more but you can hit 3Ghz on stock cooling.
An E6300 at 3GHz puts out pretty much the same amount of heat as an E6600 at 3GHz. You have no idea what you're talking about. E6300s are generally limited more by the mobo than by the chip itself, and one should be able to hit at least 3GHz on stock air.

of course he doesn't know what he is talking about, his name is toobernoober rofl :D :D

Toobernoober said:

wtf is this? Please dont give some un-educated guess when you dont know $h*t. Moreover, you need to go to dictonary.com to look up "overclocking"

the amount of heat produce by the processor is DEPENDS on the among of VOLTAGES you use.

bail_w said:
wtf is this? Please dont give some un-educated guess when you dont know $h*t. Moreover, you need to go to dictonary.com to look up "overclocking"

the amount of heat produce by the processor is DEPENDS on the among of VOLTAGES you use.

Somebody needs to fix their grammer before telling others about using the dictionary! ;) And its voltage and mhz that create said amount of heat.

Tazman2 said:
Somebody needs to fix their grammer before telling others about using the dictionary! ;)
Somebody needs to learn how to spell grammar before correcting other people's :p.

Zero82z said:
Somebody needs to learn how to spell grammar before correcting other people's :p.

I never said i could spell. Plus i made ONE mistake he made a few! ;)

to the point, the two cheapest core 2 duo systems, the e6300/6400, both overclock VERY well on stock air, and the overclock itself is limited to mobo, and to a lesser extent ram. If you get a mobo that will overclock well, the cheapo e6300 will rock your sox :)

-Ashley

E6300 if you must have intel.

If you dont care and just want good performance, wait for the AMD 4X4 chips, they will surely do well in photoshop.

Also, for photoshop, lots of RAM is always good. So you will most likely see a difference if you add another gig to what you already have.

Well, I agree with 6300, its cheap and has great price/performance when overclocked. from stock 1.86 to 3ghz on stock cooling is more than 50% faster, plus you'll get higher bandwith.
Spend a bit more on CPU HS, you might be able to do more than 3ghz.
Mine is 6300 with DS3 and 1 gig Corsair 800 cooled with Big Typhoon, and I can do 3.3 orthos stable 12 hours. and with 26 celcius ambient, according to cote temp, only 55max.

Back