Cheapest video card for basic gaming?

Depends what the budget is, and what games you want to play. Sure you could buy an HD5450 for $40 but it'd be crap compared to what you can buy for $60 (far worse than 2/3 performance despite 2/3 cost)
 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102855&cm_re=4670_hd-_-14-102-855-_-Product

HD 4670 1GB card for $49.99 after rebate. I have this GPU (but an ASUS version) and it does pretty decent. Can do L4D2 on high (defaults to that with 4xAA, etc) but I keep everything set to medium for online play. Anywhere from 40 to 120 fps. Usually between 60-100 except during horde zergs.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=580&card2=579

GPU comparison between the 4650 and 4670.

You'll probably be fine with the 50, the 70'll squeak out a bit more performance.

Main difference between the 4830 and 4670 is memory clock and the gains that come with that. 4670 still has higher raw GPU speeds.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=586&card2=579

So anything 46xx or higher I think you'll be fine with. Find the one that's discounted the most.
 
I just bought a 4850 w/ a Zalman cooler for $55 shipped here on the FS.
 
Well, my previous point still stands. You can get a new card that's essentially as good as an 8800GT for $70, and an 8800GT will be second hand (not to mention 8800s only have a 2-3 year life expectancy so if you've got early cards, they may not have long left)
 
I played BC2 on a 4850 512mb @ 1920x1200, medium settings, decent framerate the majority of the time.

I have seen used 4850s go for ~$50-60 in the FS forum. I believe NewEgg had a sale on the 4850 for $54 AR once, they aren't that cheap anymore though.
 
9800gt == gts250?:confused:

Incorrect. Same GPU design, but with the following differences

9800GT: 112 cores
GTS250: 128 cores

9800GT: 600mhz core, 1500mhz shader, 1800mhz memory
GTS250: 738mhz core, 1836mhz shader, 2000 or 2200mhz memory.

This results in a performance increase of more than 30%.
 
Back
Top