Cheapest P&S with GPS ? (height & compas)

MindBuster

2[H]4U
I'm looking at getting a P&S camera with GPS and want the cheapest available that includes Height and Direction (compas).

Looking through all Cameras just to see if they have GPS (with direction and altitude) is a pain, some cameras may have GPS but doesnt include compass and altitude.

The Coolpix AW100 is exactly what I need, it got compas and altitude, but it's priced a wee bit higher than I can afford.

The Coolpix s9300 I'm not sure if it has altitude, it's price is juuust about right, preferably cheaper wanted though.

Anyone have any recommendations on a P&S with GPS that includes compas and altitude ? The quality of the pics it takes doesnt matter, I only need the pics as reference to some modeling I'm doing, not to look at, but I do need the GPS function (well, prolly not, but would make it so much easier).

It looks like the S9300 doesn't do altitude. No mentions in the manual.

Another option is the Panasonic DMC-TS4. $280. Link to the Panasonic Site. Amazon.com

Appears to have an electronic compass, and an altimeter (altitude). The altimeter works via the barometric pressure and can be refined via GPS, and a manual correction that you can dial in yourself.

The manual (pg 114 - 130 has a bunch on the altimeter, but is a bit sparse on what the electronic compass looks like in use (maybe hit DISP button a few times and it'll come up). The manual discusses how even with 4 GPS satelites the altitude can be off by +-164 feet, so it is important to dial in the current altitude if you know it.

Another option could be an older smartphone (have GPS, but I'm not sure of their altitude features), or using a gps camera, but adding the altitude later via software.

Edit: To find this I search on Amazon with the keywords: camera altitude. Brought up this Panasonic TS4 camera and the AW100 and a few DSLRs that require the GPS module attachment.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Right, guess it's gonna be the AW100 anyways then, I've seen the EXIF data it outputs and it's exactly what I need.

Just sucks, I'm in EU and 2 weeks ago when I started looking the AW100 was 1790 DKK, now looking yesterday, as payday is coming up, it's price is suddenly 2250 DKK :(

Thanks for looking around, I didnt search for "altitude" so it was kinda hard finding anything :p

Right, guess it's gonna be the AW100 anyways then, I've seen the EXIF data it outputs and it's exactly what I need.

Just sucks, I'm in EU and 2 weeks ago when I started looking the AW100 was 1790 DKK, now looking yesterday, as payday is coming up, it's price is suddenly 2250 DKK :(

Thanks for looking around, I didnt search for "altitude" so it was kinda hard finding anything :p

OMG that is a almost twice the cost of the camera in the US. :(

OMG that is a almost twice the cost of the camera in the US. :(

Yes, all electronics are expensive here. :(

But then ofcourse we have other stuff that are cheap, or even free like healthcare and education, but all hightech joy cost insane amounts.

Back