Cheapest option for system that has VT?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking for a super cheap option, like no more than a few hundred for 2 or more systems that have a cpu with VT (and any other options that would be required for a hypervisor setup). Basically I just need two systems to play around with so I can test different virtualization setups. I don't care about ram or disk, I'd probably just run some windows 2000 and small linux distros as tests anyway. I'm thinking something along the lines of Raspberry PI but PC architecture. Is there anything out there? Specifically I want to test KVM/Qemu. I originally tried it but was in a hurry to get my server going so I gave up trying to get it to work and went vmware, but I do want to switch to an open source setup and not be limited as much. Eventually I want to do live migrations etc... so this system would be to test just that.

Is this a long shot or is there something out there that would actually fit my needs?

I would probably go with either Athlon 5350 or J1900 both are low power not Raspberry PI levels but low enough. Both support VT,

Since I have a 5350 I can tell you that you can run KVM + a Windows and a Linux guest on it. Not too much more than that though if you use the iGPU.

Why not a used Intel NUC? They're all over Fleabay and about as close to the Pi-ish, but PC Arch, as you're going to get.

Example: Ebay Search

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have two systems setup with Celeron G1610's, 16GB memory, 120GB SSD, and a 4-port Intel gigabit NIC. Works flawlessly as a HA pool in xenserver. They don't do VT-D, but they do everything else perfectly.

Each mini-itx motherboard was about $35, the CPU's were about $40, the memory $75, and the SSDs $40. So for less than $200... not too shabby. (excluding case / PSU)

Wow I wish I could buy those parts for that cheap here. I'm in Canada so everything is more expensive, actually building out a system from new parts will end up at least a grand. cpus alone are in the hundreds, motherboards over 100, SSD over 100 etc, everything is over 100. Those intel nuc boxes look interesting though, but can't find one that is wired and actually comes with everything (ram etc) but I can keep checking, not in a huge hurry for this.

Though if I can't find anything in my extremely low price point I might just wait it out and just build two low end servers. Always handy to have a spare/lab box in the rack anyway.

Wow I wish I could buy those parts for that cheap here. I'm in Canada so everything is more expensive, actually building out a system from new parts will end up at least a grand. cpus alone are in the hundreds, motherboards over 100, SSD over 100 etc, everything is over 100. Those intel nuc boxes look interesting though, but can't find one that is wired and actually comes with everything (ram etc) but I can keep checking, not in a huge hurry for this.

Though if I can't find anything in my extremely low price point I might just wait it out and just build two low end servers. Always handy to have a spare/lab box in the rack anyway.

Well I need to clean out some of the old systems I have since I'm redoing my HTPC/NAS config. So I have a processor (920) + MB I'm not using that I should probably chuck. I can test it tonight on my switch out. PM me if you want it.

Well I need to clean out some of the old systems I have since I'm redoing my HTPC/NAS config. So I have a processor (920) + MB I'm not using that I should probably chuck. I can test it tonight on my switch out. PM me if you want it.

To OP:

I would jump on this. Then get a cheap hex-core XEON off of eBay to slap in the board and call it a day.

Shipping is a killer though, if I start getting parts from different sources I'm paying each time. I also need two identical systems so I can do migrations. Still need case, psu, ram etc... so still ends up expensive. Thanks for offer though.

Think I'll just wait then and build two actual systems later when I decide I want to spend the money. Was just hoping there was something equivalent to raspberry PI or something but PC architecture for like a couple hundred. The intel NUCs seem like the closest option, I'll just have to keep an eye out.

Back