Cheapest HD 5770 replacement

Starbomba

Limp Gawd
Looking to replace the aging HD 5770 on the parent's PC. Fan is rattling, and due to heat, it gives random artifacts. Main uses are basic Facebook browsing and Netflix watching (1080p). Preferibly looking for AMD cards, and ones that do not need external power.

I think the RX 460 may be your best bet out of the newer cards. They go for around $100.

Looking to replace the aging HD 5770 on the parent's PC. Fan is rattling, and due to heat, it gives random artifacts. Main uses are basic Facebook browsing and Netflix watching (1080p). Preferibly looking for AMD cards, and ones that do not need external power.

RX 460.

Wouldn't an IGP be sufficient for Facebook/Netflix?!
If not, you could just pickup a used 5xxx or 6xxx vid card for cheap on CL.
Seen plenty of 5770s and 5850s for ~$20 locally.

Second the RX460 suggestion. Why bother spending $40-70 on used, old 5 and 6xxx series ATI cards when something newer, potentially faster, less power draw and heat output can be purchased for not much more.

The 5850's put off a fair bit of heat and loud under load. I have one in my HTPC and looking to replace it with the new 460.

Wouldn't an IGP be sufficient for Facebook/Netflix?!
If not, you could just pickup a used 5xxx or 6xxx vid card for cheap on CL.
Seen plenty of 5770s and 5850s for ~$20 locally.

Used, power hungry, no warranty, etc.

RX 460 is a good choice as is a GTX 950.

But why spend that kind of dosh when it's overkill? This recently-released GT 710 card does all of that for $40, has a 3-year warranty, uses low-enough power that it's fanless, and will have drivers for years from Nvidia (whole purpose of releasing it last year).

EVGA GeForce GT 710 DirectX 12 02G-P3-2712-KR 2GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Video Card - Newegg.com

I know AMD is allergic to releasing anything cheaper than the R7 240, but even that's overpriced for what you need here. You can even play most AAA games at 720p low in-a-pinch, and web/casual 3D games should be no problem at 1080p

I agree. A 460 is very overkill. The cheapest gpu since the nvidia 7xx series or AMD 4000 series will handle all of that just fine. Hell get a gt710, it wont even break a sweat with 4K video. There is literally no reason to get anything but an entry level card and the only reason I'm suggesting that is because I'm assuming their CPU doesn't have onboard video, or is a core 2 duo or older.

Back