cheapest gigabit + wireless g

Razer1

[H]ard|Gawd
After spending a few hours, I finally have the wireless setup I've been trying to get in my dorm room. I have a wireless G laptop, that I wanted to be able to access the net with from my room, as well as my desktop which is on a wired connection. I bought a wireless g nic for my desktop, and after fiddling with it, i've been able to set up a adhoc ics network between the two. The only problem? Its slow as balls. File transfers between the two are around 200k or less, and websurfing is around 100kbs. It would take me far too much time to transfer files. Now I'm wondering what the cheapest solution would be for setting up a private network. The other thing I wanted to take advantage of was the gigabit ethernet in my dorm room. I haven't been able to find a router that does both gigabit eithernet and wireless g (and if I could, I'd hate to see the price). I'm about ready to take back the card I have now (a dlink) and wait a while until I can figure out exactly how I can set up a wireless connection for my laptop, and a wired gigabit connection for the desktop. Any suggestions?

It's a whole lot easier / cheaper to just use the router you've got and put the desktop on the wired 100Mbps connection. There's no real application for gigabit on the desktop.

the thing is, i didn't want to miss out on using the gigabit connection, just cause of the on campus hub. file transfer at speeds above 100mbs is like a wet dream. I'm considering trying to use the computer as a router again, but any suggestions to speed up the connection?

just get a gigabit switch ~ $60 (I got mine at fry's for $30), then an 802.11G WAP. I read somewhere that 802.11G in AD-HOC runs at 802.11B speeds ( or it was dlink extreme G in adhoc runs standard 802.11G ) . This is currrently how I have my network running. Altogether it should cost about $120. just uplink them, you shouldn't even need a cross-over cable as all newer switches ar MDIX compatible.

Back