Cheapest card thats faster than a Ti4200?

Did anyone even read the topic name? Im looking for a cheap card, my dad does not want to spend much more than $100, so please please stop telling me to get a 6800 or 6600GT.

V0ltage said:
Did anyone even read the topic name? Im looking for a cheap card, my dad does not want to spend much more than $100, so please please stop telling me to get a 6800 or 6600GT.

Well, then SORRY, but you cant get anything faster than a ti4200.

maybe you should listen to what everyone is telling you....
#1 - that a TI4200 is pretty fast to start with
#2 - it would take at least a $200 card to be faster
#3 - the 9600__ and other $110-160 cards are about the same speed as a ti4200 + a few newer features.

Get a used 9700 pro. That'll be a nice speed boost and fits your bill (they're around $100-$130 used)

CastleBravo said:
Read Doom 3 the benches closer: The minimum FPS on the 9600 XT is almost 50% higher than the minimum FPS on the 4200 (16 vs. 22 FPS), and of course the max is capped at 60. That's quite a difference if you are actually playing the game. And of course that is with better visuals to boot. You could always disable some DX9 features (or their OpenGL equivalents in Doom 3's case) and watch the 9600 XT whomp the Ti4200 in framerate at equal visual quality, too.

Why shouldn't I link to that page? It was just a table of Aquamark 3 scores.

I was saying that it got twice the frames per second in the BENCHMARK I had just linked to, which it DID, tough guy. And the fact that the ti4200 sucks at higher resolutions and AA/AF compared to the 9600 XT is, of course, a reason why the 9600 XT is better. Duh. :p

i dont remember saying the 9600xt is NOT a better card. how many posts have i posted that the 9600xt is better than the ti4200? i said its not that much better to justify spending $130 to upgrade IMO. 16vs22 fps, sure 22fps is a lot better than 16fps but its still 22fps!!

i couldnt believe you linked to that aquamark3 page because people like kyle stress that synthetic benchmarks are just that, synthetic. they do not necessarily give you a idea of how good a video card is and here you are saying the 9600xt is better because it gets 2x the score of a ti4200 but in real life you probably wont see a 9600xt score 2x higher than a ti4200 and if it did, it would be at low numbers like 11fps vs 22fps in which case both cards would be considered outdated.

i am hardly trying to be a tough guy as im trying to give the poster the other side of the story. if i decided not to post anything in this thread the original poster may have saw the aquamark3 benchmark and decided that the 9600xt is the card to get because itll give him 2x the fps of the ti4200 which is not true! do you not understand this part? i think its pretty important point to make =p

V0ltage said:

ok im tired of debating (and repeating self), just get the 9600xt, according to CastleBravo (gj CastleBravo youre right, im wrong, being right is more important than helping a fellow hardocp user with a sound decision) its "a lot" faster than the ti4200. im sure youll be happy with it for a very long time.*

I still think that if ur gonna get a card get a DX9 card, with at least 8 pipes, 4 pipex just isnt worth it anymore.

At leas tin my opinion

I think ill just overclock the hell out of the 4200 and have him get a new mobo and attempt to o/c his processor untill he can get at least a 9700/9800.

V0ltage said:
I think ill just overclock the hell out of the 4200 and have him get a new mobo and attempt to o/c his processor untill he can get at least a 9700/9800.

i have a suggestion for you, try putting the ti4200 in your pc and see what kind of frame rates you get because my friend with a 2ghz tbredb says he can play cs:s just fine on it, though i havent witnessed it myself.

the 9600xt yields about the same fps except with AA and aniso, so it is fasterin th way it can do more with each frame.

the issue is that the 9600xt is kinda of a ripoff,
when you are within 10 dollars of the 9700 pro with like %40 more speedwith like 8% more cost

http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html
compare the 2 yourself

a used or refurbished 9700 pro is what i would recommend to be cheapest and fastest

V0ltage said:

Thats a better choice. An OC'd ti4200 should be about = to a ti4600, which is ABOUT equal to 9600's (in general).

Save up a little longer. The regular 6600 (non-GT) should be out fairly soon, and I'd imagine they'd be about the same as a 9800 Pro (with better features) and cheaper.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20449
6600GT AGP cards are already available and 6600 standard AGP are expected shortly.

Woah thanks for the info, I had no idea 6200/6600's were coming to AGP, ill just have to wait for those.

Back