Cheapest card for FAH GPU?

SNYP40A1

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 13, 2005
Messages
253
I need to upgrade my video card to play Half Life 2. I currently have a Core2 E6700 system with 2 GB ram, but with Intel GMA 950 integrated video. Half Life 2 runs, but is very choppy. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a video card and given that, what is the cheapest card available which will run FAH GPU?
 
If you hurry, you might be able to grab one of these.....ad price says it's good until the 7th...

Good luck...

 
Anything like the Geforce 8xxx series or ATI 3xxx series will be a good choice ;)

I said it right, Geforece 8xxx since a client would be released very shortly ;)
 
I said it right, Geforece 8xxx since a client would be released very shortly ;)
Thanks for the heads up Xilikon. :cool:

BTW, and particular vendor recommendations for acquiring cheap supported cards in Canada?

 
Can you get an 8800 series card for less than $130?

Just curious and too lazy to look around.... a 3870 for $130 seems like a really good deal to me....

 
Anything like the Geforce 8xxx series or ATI 3xxx series will be a good choice ;)

I said it right, Geforece 8xxx since a client would be released very shortly ;)

Oh Xili, you and your continued teasing us nvidia users!

The 3870 should be pretty solid and has a current client, whereas the 8/9 series from nvidia don't have a client until at the moment. BUT, both camps are releasing faster cards in like 2 weeks, so if the budget could include one of those, I'd wait.

edit: my bad, i reread your post, you want a cheap card, so a 3850 512meg or a 9600GT can be had for less than 130, but the 3870 is still solid at 130 if you can get it for that.
 
Oh Xili, you and your continued teasing us nvidia users!

The 3870 should be pretty solid and has a current client, whereas the 8/9 series from nvidia don't have a client until at the moment. BUT, both camps are releasing faster cards in like 2 weeks, so if the budget could include one of those, I'd wait.
edit: my bad, i reread your post, you want a cheap card, so a 3850 512meg or a 9600GT can be had for less than 130, but the 3870 is still solid at 130 if you can get it for that.

I'm not a GPU expert, but Imitation is right about the new cards coming out later in June. I would wait and see what happens. You might get an older card for way cheaper than it is now. That is my hope.

Rumor is that the new nVidia cards are really [H]ard!
 
I'm not a GPU expert, but Imitation is right about the new cards coming out later in June. I would wait and see what happens. You might get an older card for way cheaper than it is now. That is my hope.
Agreed. Good things come to those that wait.

Rumor is that the new nVidia cards are really [H]ard!
They could possibly be more than twice as productive in F@H, so it pays to wait for the new cards just to see what's in store for the NVidia client.
 
All I can say right now is that it's so tasty with nvidia ;)

/me whistle while walking away...

 
Back
Top